Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reaching Islands?  (Read 797 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Reaching Islands?
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:19 pm »

If DF genned a world with a large continent and a smalle island next to it, how do I get to the island without starting on it in the first place?

Must I jump into the water and hold the key down for an hour? Or is there another way?

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reaching Islands?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:27:48 pm »

Your talking about adventure mode.. right?

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:13:06 am »

The only way I know how is swimming, Pressing T ocassianly to see how far I am then swimming some more
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:19 am »

You could do a long skinny embark in dorf mode and construct floors across the entire thing, then do the same in the island region.  It would at least shorten how far you have to swim.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:33:43 am »

You could do a long skinny embark in dorf mode and construct floors across the entire thing, then do the same in the island region.  It would at least shorten how far you have to swim.

That's a good idea. Make a bridge across...

Thoughts of freezing-puddle related deaths come to mind. Any chance of the ocean freezing in winter? That'd make my trip a little easier.

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:36:00 pm »

Probably not unless this is in/near a glacier region, considering how real world ocean currents behave in regard to freezing weather. (Less than 32 degrees F may mean small ponds will freeze, but not large lakes and oceans, because of how big they are, unless it's less than 32ºF for a long period of time.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

Does this give full access to civs if you abandon and embark elsewhere on the island?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »

Probably not unless this is in/near a glacier region, considering how real world ocean currents behave in regard to freezing weather. (Less than 32 degrees F may mean small ponds will freeze, but not large lakes and oceans, because of how big they are, unless it's less than 32ºF for a long period of time.)

I've had oceans freeze in adventure mode that never once froze in fortress mode. It was a temperate climate if I remember.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

vettkinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:19:04 am »

I've tried that in adventure mode. I started on a small island which is attached to the "frozen pole". It contained an elf civ and a dwarf civ. After doing all quests in the area (and murdering all dwarves I could find  :P), I went to the main continent by crossing the frozen portion of the ocean.

And yes, you have to hold the directional button, I placed a hairpin on the numpad to hold "6" while I did something else. It took a few minutes but I did reach the other continent, only to be greeted by boogeymen on the other side  >:(

p.s. Watch out for the walruses!  :D

Pawns4Mons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:14:02 am »

would it be possible to use an "Embark anywhere" hack to and build a giant bridge across the ocean to connect an island?. That would be amazing in adventure mode.