Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The first failure...  (Read 1771 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: The first failure...
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

I had no idea how to farm so everyone died within the first year or so of thirst. Quite a boring end really.
Same. Worse: I kept doing the same mistake over and over. My latest fort is the only one whose founding party left after over a year not because of food/drink issues, but out of frustration due to the goddamn aquifer. Despite having learnt all about it, I'm still notoriously bad with farms if I don't make the my first priority.
Also, llamas may or may not have contributed to the fall of that fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 01:11:57 pm »

Magma man :(.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

The dwarves went out of food and the woodcutter killed every one.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »

DIGDIGDIGDIGDIG - wait, I'm out of food?

Time to farm I gue - *all water on map freezes*

Your fortress has crumbled to its end.

*dig out farm*

hokay, time to irriga-

*water freezes*

*your fortress has crumbled to it's end...*

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 02:55:52 pm »

My forts don't die by anyone's hands save my own.  When I get bored, the superstructure shielding the upper courtyard from the horrible sun comes crashing down on the heads of the inhabitants.  Horrific injuries and lingering slow death quickly follow as the Dwarves that survive struggle to set things right with 3/4ths of the population dead from the collapsing ceiling.  For extra cruelty, I make sure that at least a quarter of the fort will survive by having the surface courtyard be slightly offset from the lower levels.

Unsurprisingly, I don't tend to save after committing such a grisly act on my poor little Dwarves.  They're innocent bystanders, victims of my boredom, after all.
Sanity is for the weak.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 03:25:13 pm »

I practically acidentaly abandoned my first fort , didnt observed the shinny save button.
Anyways my first failure was when actually... i hit the Cotton Candy and released the Clowns
Desu

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:24 pm »

Incidentally, it always surprises me how many first forts die of starvation and dehydration.  It seems to me that the top priority, upon discovering that you have to embark with food and drink, should be figuring out how to get more in a sustainable manner.  It's part of the basics of survival, really.  I've never had any fort fall to either; the worst I've suffered that gets many beginners is my fledgling fort getting boatmurdered by marauding Goblins before I can get a wall up to keep them out.  My fist fort, in all honesty, was abandoned due to boredom since I hadn't discovered Z-levels yet and couldn't find many minerals (this was back on 40d, obviously).
Sanity is for the weak.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 04:37:27 pm »

I think it's the fact that at first nobody knows how to build farms or brew drinks.
I mean, first you need to find a subterranean area that has to be irrigated (complicated if you don't know how), then you need to assign crops to every single season (happens, sometimes even I forget that, and then I don't get any food for 3 seasons), then you have to build barrels, then you have to assign somebody to brew the stuff. And hope that the barrels aren't wasted on containing plump helmets.

Of course you could also pick berries from your surroundings, but that's undwarvenly.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 05:07:53 pm »

My first game-ending failure wasn't your typical "ran out of food/drinks, lol" ending. Rather, it was a pretty epic confrontation, rather it was quite the opposite.

I had dug down into adamantine and was taking a few (baby) steps to mine it more safely, from my understanding of the game at the time. I wasn't carving fortifications or anything, but I had set all of my miners to masons so that I could immediately wall off in the event of a break into demons. Sure enough, we break into a small rock tube that extends deep into the earth, and the demons begin pouring out. However, my masons kept getting scared before they could finish the wall, and so we couldn't wall them off. The last adamantine miner, a she-dwarf, ran up and walled herself in with the feather worm demons to protect the rest of the fort.

Oddly enough, this story doesn't end in a tantrum spiral. Somehow... despite that the only entrance into caves and the demons had just been sealed off, the demons managed to make it to the surface, and ran right in through the front door! All of my dwarves were conscripted, and so underwent the longest battle I've ever seen in DF to date. "The Battle of Hours Ending" is what I would personally come to know it by. For literally hours, my dwarves did battle with... flying tentacled ash-blob demons. Three of them. For real hours, my dwarves fought these horrible creatures. Dwarves, cats, dogs and horses all joined the fray against the hell's angels. All of their tentacles were severed, but this battle had occurred literally just two days before the bugfix that would eventually weaken blob-type creatures composed of inorganic matter, and so my unarmed dwarves barely stood a chance. Yet, for the longest time they held out, and one dwarf would become a hero with his warhammer, though his name has been lost to the sands of time.

The battle ended in a victory for the demons after a whole swarm of their reinforcements arrived through the front door, but even when hugely outnumbered my unarmed, unarmored dwarves were stalwart enough to last for another fifteen minutes. I even drew a picture to commemorate the occasion. Still mentally trying to reason out how those demons could have possibly gotten out. I just assumed it was by magic.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:49 pm »

first time: "WHOA! there's a lot of skill! i will need a doctor, a mechanic, an architect an appraiser a judge etc. one miner will be good and because the hunter will be out he can also be the herbalist and the woodcutter"..."what? why are they thirsty? i've ordered brew-oh i need barrel, where the carp is the carpenter? hunting. hmmm"..."OH MY GOD THE DOCTOR IS PUNCHING THE ARCHITECT!"

second take: "allright no jokes this time, i'll take two miners, two farmer and a set up crops& industry asap"..."GOBLIN SNATCHER! what the hell i have to do?! create a military squad, enlist first dwarfs on the list, attack goblin"..."whoa they're awesome!"..."a couple of goblin approach! pffff send the only 5-man wrestler squad, and let's return to work"..."OH MY GOD BLOOD EVERYWHERE!"

third take: long story short, fort growing well, mining team discover some cavern "whoo fungi!" set up pet-forbidden hatch for maximum protection... "OH MY GOD WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT"

and  on a side note: when i find a game too hard/frustrating i forget it for some time, DF is the only exception, everytime i get pwned in some manner and everytime i restart another fort, i'm starting to think i'm masochist
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 06:33:50 pm »

Fire imp.

Urist McSmelter: What's that swimming about in the volcano?
Urist McSmelter has died in the heat.
Urist McIdiot: Oh no! ...wait, what's that in the volcano?
Urist McIdiot has died in the heat. x15
くコ:彡

tase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:42 pm »

First few forts where training, abandoned them. Yesterday in a barricaded fort with a lever-bridge.

An ambush of Goblins, my failing military (growing food - check, training military, not so much) gets butchered, I lock my fort down, but they obviously don't give up, roaming outside. My fort somehow becomes starved and out of booze / wood to make barrels. Some of them go insane, either by mood or strange moods, one of them pulls the lever, the goblins paint the walls of the fortress with blood.
Pages: 1 [2]