Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does it MEAN?  (Read 638 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What does it MEAN?
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »

Recently,  this message showed up during a regular vanilla run of dwarf fortress:

Code: [Select]
Udib Nummomuz, Ranger has grown attached to an iron crossbow!

Could someone explain this to me?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What does it MEAN?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »

It means that Udib Nummomuz, a dwarf with multiple skills in the Hunting category (such as Ambushing and Animal Training), has used an iron crossbow enough that it is now their favorite weapon. As such, they will avoid switching to other weapons.

Normally, when a soldier is assigned to a weapon type, they will periodically check to see if there's any other appropriate weapons that might be more expensive. So, for instance, if you assigned a soldier to use battle axes when you only had a -bronze battle axe- available, and then later made a *steel battle axe*, the dwarf would choose to switch to the more expensive weapon. Since that ranger is attached to that crossbow, they now will no longer do this, and indeed will avoid switching weapons even if you change their uniform.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »

Dwarves can grow attached to whatever they are wielding / wearing.
They can also name weapons, provided a weapon has enough kills on it's name.

It means, your dwarf will not voluontary swap out said equipment anymore, because he's grown attached to it.
However, if for some reason, you want him to get rid of such items, you can go into his inventory, select the item, and order it to be dumped.
Another dwarf will come and grab the item off him, after which you can equip anything you like in it's place.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:28:50 pm »

Okay, thanks.

However, if for some reason, you want him to get rid of such items, you can go into his inventory, select the item, and order it to be dumped.
Another dwarf will come and grab the item off him, after which you can equip anything you like in it's place.

This sounds like it would upset the dwarf in question.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »

Yea, you'd think it would. But it doesn't.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:58:30 pm »

There was a thread recently where a dwarf had his beloved weapon taken from him and he killed the dwarf that tried to dump it. So apparently, at least he was bothered by it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:03:44 pm »

I don't believe that. I've dumped beloved items without any problems often enough.
I rather think that case was a mere coincidence. The dwarf in question possibly was on the brink of tantruming anyways, and the item being taken away had nothing to do with it.