Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the "Civs" screen, what does the P stand for?  (Read 856 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
On the "Civs" screen, what does the P stand for?
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »

Peace?

Year 8 of my fort. Haven't had an Ambush or Siege in a while. I have a P next to every civ in the list, even the Goblins. Am I at peace with everybody?
Never pet a burning dog.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the "Civs" screen, what does the P stand for?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:28:49 am »

Yup, that means peace. I don't know if you'll eventually be at war with the goblins, but you can incite war with the humans or elves my molesting their caravans.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:10:16 am »

You're not actually at peace with the goblins, though. P means peace but Goblins tend to attack anyway, afaIk.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:52 am »

The P means they are at peace with the civ you are highlighting that moment!
It disappears once you select themself you see.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:58:37 am »

It's a long story:

I used to be at war with the Goblins. Then the Human diplomat got killed by a Goblin ambush while on my map. The Humans blamed us, sent a siege party and demanded the head of our Countess. I told them "we already got one". They settled down to besiege us. Then three more Goblin ambushes showed up simultaneously, and the Human siege party started fighting with the Goblins. The map was covered in pools of blood, Goblin gobbets and dismembered Humans. My Dwarves just sat inside our fort with the drawbridge up, drinking beer and placing bets. Eventually the remaining Humans drove the Goblins away, and I opened the drawbridge and wiped out the last of the Humans.

Next time I checked the Civ screen, I was at peace with everyone... I guess both the Humans and the Goblins have decided to devote their full efforts to wiping each other out...
Never pet a burning dog.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:01 pm »

Hmm. It is bugged/not peace. I have P next to everybody, including perma-war races - but not next to active race.

Maybe it is peace, but peace is not the same as "not hostile"? And it is checking only Legend mode wars?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »

The goblins have a P because they're not warring with you. They ARE however skirmishing/harassing you, but not to the scale of a full-size war.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:24:42 pm »

Love the rampant misinformation in this thread, looks like everyone skipped over this:

The P means they are at peace with the civ you are highlighting that moment!
It disappears once you select themself you see.

You'll note that as you scroll down the civilizations listed that the "P"s may change; what you are examining is how the highlighted civ reacts to other civs (ie, if you are hovering over the humans, all the "P"s you see are referring to those civs being at peace with the humans).