Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naked Dwarves  (Read 3953 times)

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naked Dwarves
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »

So I'm planning on making a new embark, and I want my militia to wear nothing in battle like ancient warriors, so I have a few questions.

-How much faster should they be?

-Is there a way to remove their clothes instead of just making them go without armor?

-Should they have more martial trances?

-Is there anything else I should know?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Naked Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

So I'm planning on making a new embark, and I want my militia to wear nothing in battle like ancient warriors, so I have a few questions.

Shouldn't be noticeable
-Is there a way to remove their clothes instead of just making them go without armor?
Forbid all clothing
Think not.
Naked dorfs are icky. And squishy.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:03:08 pm »

Ahh, too bad. I was hoping the game would give them higher perception or something, oh well.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »

If you assign them just a sword on the military screen, but choose the uniform to replace clothes rather than be worn over clothes, they'll end up with nothing but swords on. I assume if you do this with weapons that you don't have and require exact matches, they'll be totally naked. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »

Which weapon would you recommended for dwarves without armor?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:06:46 pm »

Which weapon would you recommended for dwarves without armor?
Wrestling. ...not for those reasons, but they can immobilize enemies like that. Or archery so they don't get hit.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:09:03 pm »

"...Those reasons..." <.<

What would happen if I gave them nothing but a shield? :/

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »

They'd use them as bludgeoning tools and shields.  However, the second they weren't able to block, they'd probably take fatal/incapacitating damage and get slaughtered.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:22:26 pm »

This. If you're going to send dwarves into combat naked, you better danger room them up to Legendary +5 dodging first. And they should wear armor for that part, or they'll never make it.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 02:32:57 pm »

This. If you're going to send dwarves into combat naked, you better danger room them up to Legendary +5 dodging first. And they should wear armor for that part, or they'll never make it.

True story here. Naked dwarves getting wrecked in danger rooms is how I learned the difference btwn 'over clothes' and 'replace clothes'.  Broke a bunch of noses/toes and eventually killed a few before I realized they were prancing around naked with only wooden training axes for company... Must have been quite the sight while it lasted!
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 02:33:28 pm »

What if I just send all the migrants in?

Edit: Eventually I'll get a hero, right?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 05:23:53 pm »

No faster than a dwarf with a high level of armor user.  The lack of armor may make them noticeably faster for a bit at least, but dwarves that wear steel or adamantine armor would eventually match them in speed.

dwarves don't wear new clothes, so after 5-8 years of gametime everyone will be naked anyway.  You could also assign them a blank uniform and set it to "replace clothing"

this is extremely unlikely

yes, this idea is actually quite workable.  If you give your dwarves danger room training (WITH ARMOR/CLOTHES ON), eventually they will be legendary in weapon skill, shield block, fighter, and dodger.  Once this is done, they won't need armor.  Even engaging 1 vs 15, dwarves (even without a martial trance) with these levels of skill will block dodge or parry every single blow inexhaustibly.  So yes, you can do this fairly easily and get good results.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »

I tried this once before. It didn't end well for them, especially after I threw them into the danger room.

I'd recommend you give them armour, throw them in the danger room, make sure they have legendary dodger. Then de-equip them and send them on their way. Otherwise, I can't see this working.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.