Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turkey Shoot  (Read 708 times)

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turkey Shoot
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

I'm sure most know this but for other newbies, like me, this might be helpful.

Arm a small squad of crossbowmen and station them near an outdoor butcher's shop.  Make sure you have "combat" bolts assigned and checked off (in possession) on the military/ammo screen.  Then have your butcher slaughter a cow or something.  The vultures (turkeys) come running.  And the ensuing turkey shoot is great fun to watch.  I'm sure it is better training than watching some old boring "crossbow demonstration" at the barracks.  And I'm hoping I can butcher all these birds too when it is over.
Ancient Avatar

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turkey Shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:46 pm »

Interesting.  Will the vulture-corpses attract still more vultures?  What biome are you in?  I don't think vultures are prevalent in every biome.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:13 pm »

They show up tropical deserts at least. and they don't always wait for things to fie eather.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »

What about buzzards? I could do this, since the marksdwarves that have already been irritated by them turned into one-dwarf-flakvierlings.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »

I remember at embark there being 4 biomes.  I'm doing this in the section with lots of grassland and trees.  The moment I got the "bull was stuck down" message 4 vultures spawned nearby (didn't fly in from edge of map).  I haven't finished the battle yet.  Not sure if it will snowball.  Let you know how it goes.

Edit: as an afterthought, they may have been flying on a higher z level and just descended...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:51:30 pm by AlBravo »
Ancient Avatar

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »

I certainly have no love for buzzards but don't know if the OP plan will work (as I don't know if they are specifically attracted to dead things).

I do know you can rarely butcher them to get anything of value.

-MB

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

Buzzards and vultures are after your food at all times. Butchering things yields lots of food. 2 + 2 += b.

EDIT: More accurately:

α += b

b + = α
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:27:15 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 10:20:15 pm »

Yep, roofed over 1x1 food stockpile outside with 1 entrance full of weapon traps = endless meat supply.