Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: having dwarves balance training and civilian duties  (Read 323 times)

BobTheCarpSlayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
having dwarves balance training and civilian duties
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:56:47 pm »

Hey guys, I've started getting back into Dwarf Fortress, but I'm having an issue with my military.  Right now, I can get them to train just fine, but they ignore their civilian duties when I set them to "active/training."  I know I can just turn that off to make them do their duties, but is there a way to set it up so that they train part of time and do their normal stuff the rest?  I tried check checking out the schedule thing in the military section but all I see is a bunch of types of rock >.>  Any idea how I can fix this?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: having dwarves balance training and civilian duties
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:48:00 pm »

The types of rock are the names of dwarven months.

Just so you know, military dwarves who are not active will still do individual combat drills in an assigned barracks, if they have no other jobs to do.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 02:53:55 pm »

If you have a big squad you can also edit the train order in the active/training schedule (copy it to any month you want them to train in after editing). To edit it go to the schedules go to the active/training alert with /* select a month press e then press - to lower the minimum, save it with shift-enter.

BobTheCarpSlayer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »

Oh, well that explains a lot!  I had no idea they use rock names for months.  Thanks!  And I'll have to try that out shlorf, I want them to train just a bit for now.