Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any easy ways to toggle hospital duties?  (Read 505 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Any easy ways to toggle hospital duties?
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:35 pm »

So many forts and I'm still coming to grips with burrows and what they can do. 

Anyone know if it's possible to toggle a small, secondary burrow on/off?  I'd like to assign medical personnel to one based on the hospital, but only enable it when there's a need.  The hospital is usually either a boring tour of duty or "AAAARGH!  All hands on deck!" after all.

And it's a right pain in the arse adding/removing the personnel from the burrow as and when needed.

Hmmm...  it'd be nice if I could assign them to a pseudo-military squad, except with medical duties instead of military.  *sigh*

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

mushroom_ff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any easy ways to toggle hospital duties?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:32 pm »

I'm still new with borrows too, but it may be possible to assign a burrow and only activate it when needed, so all of the dwarfs will stay there. Just make sure to have food and supplies included in the burrow.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »

You need 3 burrows

burrow1 = Whole fort - hospital area
burrow2 = Whole fort
burrow3 = hospital area

put all dwarfs - medics on burrow 2
put medics on burrow 1
when needed, alert all medics on burrow 3

should work

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:59:54 am »

If all your medics (should) do is medical duties, simply make a burrow covering the hospital and assign your medics to it.

(And remember to make them bedrooms and somewhere to eat as well as a food stockpile for them)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:20 am »

I haven't tried this, but this would probably work pretty well.

Make a burrow on your hospital, and nickname all of the medics as "Medic" or some such.  When a dwarf gets hurt, go through the list and assign everyone with that nickname to the hospital burrow.  This should be less painful than this could otherwise be, because the nicknames will make them stand out.  When the crisis is over, either de-assign the dwarves or delete the burrow and recreate it.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:55:54 am »

You don't really need to burrow them if you disable their other labors and give them rooms close to the hospital (and disable the meeting hall so they idle in their rooms).

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:02:22 am »

I didn't think it could be done the way I'd like, but I was hoping.  *sigh*

FWIW, I do have a peasant permanently restricted to the Hospital Burrow, whose duties are purely feeding the wounded, retrieving injured and cleansing wounds.  With the custom profession of "Orderly."   She's permanently ecstatic, because everything in that burrow is masterwork/artifact and when she's idle she walks around staring at the walls & furnishings, blissed out of her pointy little head. :D

The hossie also doubles as my "Guard Barracks," for the Cpt. of the Guard's squad.  To be eligible for his squad, they need to be legless.  Well...  can't stand, anyway.  Mainly for ex-military types...    If they're permanently stuck in a hospital bed anyway, I may as well add them to that squad.  They don't do anything, but it does make them easy to find.  And one can hope.

I really don't want to assign any other dwarves there permanently or give them only medical duties; with <40 dorfs total in an obviously violent area I already have a serious labour shortage.  (And new migrants rarely make it through the gamut to the Fort.)

I'm thinking Brucemo's is probably the best way to manage things.  It's very close to how I'm already managing it and would make it easier.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:06:21 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 03:37:59 am »

You don't really need to burrow them if you disable their other labors and give them rooms close to the hospital (and disable the meeting hall so they idle in their rooms).
The point of using a burrow is to keep them out of the damned liquor stockpile, which is a DF medic's golf course.