Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Arrgh! Help needed w/ Economy!  (Read 930 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arrgh! Help needed w/ Economy!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

I too have pointed out just how ridiculously easy it is to produce wealth in the game.  The labors of 1 skilled dwarf are easily enough to provide for 5 of their layabout brethren, and you only need about 1-2 farm-tiles per dwarf in your fortress.

Very valuable goods and materials are very easy to come by.  I think one of the problems is that once you're dwarve's basic needs are satisfied, they don't really need to consume anything more.  If they started developing "expensive tastes" in a wealthy fortress, desiring items which were much more resource-intensive than normal ones, then setting up a good "luxuries industry" would be a nice challenge.

Fundamentally, everything in Dwarf Fortress can be fairly cheaply obtained.  This is, I believe, done in order to offset just how incredibly dysfunctional an early fortress is before it becomes self-sufficient.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:05 pm »

Nah it's really just the scaling that is a little off, with farming being the worst. At the beginning you get stacks of 2-3 plants, later on with legendary farmers and potash you get so much food which gets crazy multipliers for being masterfully minced wealth isn't an issue. The material size being disabled means a decent outfit for a soldier for a mere 8 bars of metal. The legendary dwarves are pretty overpowered too. Attribute bonuses stacking up for every legendary skill leads to supersoldiers who can only die to syndromes (if you don't use dangerrooms it will take a few years but afterwards a siege doesn't mean anything but annoying dumping of goblin clothing). Legendary +5 crafters churn out the masterworks by the dozen (shouldn't a masterwork be something special? - instead it becomes the quality standard and anything else is melted/dumped/traded).
Enemies preferring gloves/shoes/leather over metal armor turns the table in the dwarfs favor too much (and results in even more clean up woes).
I could go on but i think i made my point.

Anyway I'm now on an embark that only has copper, silver and zinc, and I will probably not trade for metals i might still get enough goblinite for my armor needs anyway.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:58:06 pm »

If you are finding that you have too much stuff, stop making stuff.  There is nothing that compels you to have your cook, brewer, and crafters working 24/7.

There is no pot of gold at the end of the caravan rainbow.  If you make a million dwarfbucks worth of obsidian mugs, the caravans will still bring splints, bags of gypsum, copper breastplates, sewer brew, pine arrows, and cats in tin cages.

People always scream "megaproject!" at this point, which is fine, but you can spend a long time just giving all your dwarves rooms with bed, cabinet, coffer, and door, getting metal, glass, and cloth industries going, making good defenses including a military with good equipment, devising means to murder prisoners, making wells and other things that increase happiness, etc.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »

Train up a monster military and conquer hell. There is always a use for more dwarves!

To solve your excess food problem, try making smaller farm plots, so it's easier to adjust how much you are producing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:15:04 pm by Lagslayer »

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »

one fun megaproject is to create a human town, take down the mountain by chaneling it all down to the level you want it and start building some houses and stuff, a communial hall, a little garden, some farms out of town and a gigantic wall to protect you from the elves when you anger them (wich is fun to do because killing elves is always fun) and then just build a giant tower for your nobles and when they piss you off make the tower fall and bring the nobles with it! (laugh) and after 3 years it's normal you're not getting a siege or something but when they apear don't be a trap wuss, that's no fun, use the mighty army! the longer you wait the bigger the attacks
Pages: 1 [2]