Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forcing diagnosis?  (Read 4637 times)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forcing diagnosis?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 08:10:50 am »

Basically the same happened to my dwarfs, however some of my children didn't recover and are now permanently feverish have a numb limb and one lost sight, they are all covered in bruises. This leads me to believe that we need a better method of cleaning dwarfs than the standard cleaning trench design. I've experimented with moving the water with pumps but i'm not good enough with mechanics yet to construct something that will wash the bloodpool from underneath the dwarfs away imediately to a tile they won't pass through.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:01 pm »

Would confining the doctor to a burrow that only contains the hospital work?  Since he would only accept jobs from within that burrow.

I tried that, and it worked... well at least better than anything other I have tried. Well, they (my 4 doctors) hanged in the hospital 75% of the time with "no job" and the rest doing what they should. The harder part has actually getting them to go to their burrow. I spent months actually to gather them all.

The started attending my injured soldier (one of the best actually, who broke his arms when a troll pushed him to a 3z fall), but he have been waiting for at least a year, and in the middle of an surgery, he died to infection.

Im SO F***ING pissed at them... I will stip them of their rooms, and lock them permanently on the hospital. It will be their new jails... for life. Im actually evaluating senting one of them to the arena to face some goblins.. (the one who took the most time to get to the hospital, and the one that was most immediatly needed)

Im building a well in the hospital, and some food storage. They can say goodbye to their old lives. And as soon as new immigrant doctors came, to the arena they go !

edit: oh, and I have a question. Those stuf they use, like plasters, threads, cloths, splints, etc, would non-doctors also get them to the cabinnets oon the hospital?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:34:25 pm by Krelian »

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 08:16:22 pm »

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned this, but if your diagnostician is hauling stuff around rather than diagnosing people, he should have hauling turned off.

The default interface is totally nasty, it's one of the charms of the game, but taken to an extreme, which of course it always is, it makes it kind of hard to play the game effectively.  I can't imagine playing the game without DwarfTherapist, which is always up and running a few hours after a new patch.  It allows you to see the labors of large numbers of dwarves at once, and you can easily turn labors on and off.

What I do if a dwarf ends up in the hospital is just check to see if the dwarves with medical labors have hauling and other nonsense turned off, and hope they don't decide to do the eat/drink/sleep/break cycle.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

yes, I use therapist, and of course all 4 doctors have ALL labors disabled but the medical ones. No one have hauling of any kind, yet they still sometimes do it.

Another thing, I just saw one of the doctors I lock up, leaving the burrow to eat, as he was starving. Arent Burrows mandatory ?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:48:55 pm »

Burrows just confine dwarves to them for selecting jobs.  If no food or drink is available they still leave it.

The_Countess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »

Another thing, I just saw one of the doctors I lock up, leaving the burrow to eat, as he was starving. Arent Burrows mandatory ?

they will only leave to prevent starvation or dehydration. (and wouldn't you if you're hungry and someone just told you 'do not leave this room' and you smell cooking outside?)
but they wont leave for just their normal eating or drinking.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »

edit: oh, and I have a question. Those stuff they use, like plasters, threads, cloths, splints, etc, would non-doctors also get them to the cabinnets oon the hospital?
Yes, it's hauled by idlers. It's difficult to get correct amount of that stuff in hospital though. So you probably should include the fortress stockpiles in doctors burrow (or make smaller ones in hospital). By the way plasters are useless (just as tables and traction benches are). You need only splints, soap, thread and cloth for medicine.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:03 pm »

Traction benches aren't useless. They're needed for treatment of overlapping fractures, but they have to be built right next to a bed.
くコ:彡

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

Plaster isn't useless either, my hospital is unmodded 31.18 and it works just fine---I've got dwarves with casts running around, and even legs get fixed unless the nerves are damaged.  Crutches are still bugged, as far as I can tell, and so is soap (cancels cleaning can't reach area) but everything else works for me--the "likes helping others" tag is pretty crucial I've found, and the happiness/unhappiness taken for helping or being forced to take is also pretty major--enough to push someone out of (or into) ecstatic, in my experience.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:03 pm »

So when assigning doctors, be sure they like helping people. :D
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

the funniest thing is that my main doctor is also a carpinter, which is his highest skill, so the game considers him one, and in phoebus mod, is a guy with a handsaw... I can imagine what the patients think when he approach their beds

Reminds me of a recent fort in which one of my doctors was also the butcher.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »

One of my doctors in every fort is also my legendary bonecarver. Always.
くコ:彡

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

edit: oh, and I have a question. Those stuff they use, like plasters, threads, cloths, splints, etc, would non-doctors also get them to the cabinnets oon the hospital?
Yes, it's hauled by idlers. It's difficult to get correct amount of that stuff in hospital though. So you probably should include the fortress stockpiles in doctors burrow (or make smaller ones in hospital). By the way plasters are useless (just as tables and traction benches are). You need only splints, soap, thread and cloth for medicine.

On the rare occasion you can get someone to go into surgery without cancel spam, tables are used for the surgery. Soap is the one thing I always have problems with though, noone ever uses it.

Here's an interesting one for all of you(don't mean to hijack), I have a dwarf injured before my hospital was setup. He went to his room instead, and to this day is still there. He was stabbed through the foot by a goblin thief, however he's recovered from that. He continues to receive treatment in his bed, but the doctors won't move him to the hospital, even if I deconstruct his bed. Ideas?
Pages: 1 [2]