Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monitor Can't Display Native Resolution + Mouse Cursor Glitching  (Read 1662 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My monitor absolutely refuses to display correctly in it's native resolution (1920x1080) and it's beginning to irritate me because I think it's causing graphical glitching with my mouse. The only way I can get it to fill the full screen (instead of either being far bigger than the screen or smaller than it) is to put it into 1600x1200 resolution. This monitor has had trouble in the past with HDMI connectors (which I'm currently using) due to it detecting it as a "Video" input instead of "PC" input. That's easily sortable, however, even if this isn't. I've tried everything I can possibly think of to get it to display in 1080p instead of 1080i, but it's just not working.

Now, I'm wondering if a VGA connector will fit in my computer? It has pink connection slots at the back instead of blue ones, but my monitor has blue ones. I don't know if there are any leads that will fit both of these or if they're actually different at all? I'll count the pin slots in a bit, but it's seven in the morning at the moment so there's no chance of that. :p

The monitor is a Hannspree HF257HP.

Onto mouse graphical glitches: It looks like the usual artifacts you get from your graphics card overheating (thin, psychedelically coloured streaks / dots) appear around my mouse cursor and nowhere else when I launch certain things. It's very, very odd and I'm wondering if it might be from the monitor or if there might be a problem with my PC I should check up on?

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor Can't Display Native Resolution + Mouse Cursor Glitching
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »

No one? >:

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:45:02 pm »

Are you dead-sure your video card isn't the problem? If the monitor is rated for 1920x1080 but the video card refuses to go up to that amount then you can try what you want. I'm asking this exactly because of the mouse-pointer problems you mentioned, which may also be a symptom.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »

Are you dead-sure your video card isn't the problem? If the monitor is rated for 1920x1080 but the video card refuses to go up to that amount then you can try what you want. I'm asking this exactly because of the mouse-pointer problems you mentioned, which may also be a symptom.

Fairly certain. I've got a new card (February of this year, I believe), so I can't imagine it being the issue. I've been worrying that the graphical glitching might be a symptom of overheating, though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »

My monitor absolutely refuses to display correctly in it's native resolution (1920x1080) and it's beginning to irritate me because I think it's causing graphical glitching with my mouse. The only way I can get it to fill the full screen (instead of either being far bigger than the screen or smaller than it) is to put it into 1600x1200 resolution. This monitor has had trouble in the past with HDMI connectors (which I'm currently using) due to it detecting it as a "Video" input instead of "PC" input. That's easily sortable, however, even if this isn't. I've tried everything I can possibly think of to get it to display in 1080p instead of 1080i, but it's just not working.

Out of curiosity, how would it be displaying in 1080i? I thought the problem was the resolution, not interlacing.

Now, I'm wondering if a VGA connector will fit in my computer? It has pink connection slots at the back instead of blue ones, but my monitor has blue ones. I don't know if there are any leads that will fit both of these or if they're actually different at all? I'll count the pin slots in a bit, but it's seven in the morning at the moment so there's no chance of that. :p

There are VGA<->DVI cable adapters, if that's what you mean.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

Out of curiosity, how would it be displaying in 1080i? I thought the problem was the resolution, not interlacing.

Well that was the trouble with it when I was using a different computer with this monitor. It was trying to display in 1080i when it should be displaying in 1080p. I changed it and everything fit into place perfectly. It doesn't seem to be working with this computer now, though.

There are VGA<->DVI cable adapters, if that's what you mean.

I'm not sure it is. Will check in an hour or two.