Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cave adaptation: how much sun do dwarves need?  (Read 923 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
cave adaptation: how much sun do dwarves need?
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »

I don't want my dwarves to get cave adaptation, but at the same time, I don't want them above ground all the time. how much sunlight do they need to prevent adaptation? Will a single tile of sunlight every season be enough? Or does it have to be much more?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: cave adaptation: how much sun do dwarves need?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »

From what I've seen, it takes around a full season to get mild cave adaptation, and two seasons to get severe cave adaptation.  The easiest solution is to have a walled aboveground courtyard with a meeting zone designated there, and not have any other meeting zones.  The benefit is twofold: you don't get cave adaptation for most of your Dwarves (the military still get it if you don't give them a month off per 2 months of training at least), and you won't have to deal with Dwarves throwing parties all over your fortress.
Sanity is for the weak.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

Does the area need to actually be "Light" or is simply "Above Ground" good enough?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »

I believe "Light" is necessary, though as far as I can tell you really don't get one without the other. Constructions don't block light, just designate an area as "Inside" instead.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »

I guess I'll just wall off the meeting area I already have. Currently, it's above ground for just this purpose, but in an area where if goblins get in, they will spook my civilians.

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:11 pm »

AFAIK, anything above ground is light, even with walls, no windows and a constructed roof. However, I'm pretty sure all you need is 'above ground' to protect against cave adaptation.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:27 pm »

Just being above ground is sufficient to ward off cave adaptation right now.  I've a fort of very happy non-cave-adapted Dwarves that have a completely walled-in and ceiling-covered courtyard they all hang out in.  The only ones who get nauseated by the sun are the warriors who train underground, as I didn't have the foresight to construct an aboveground barracks.
Sanity is for the weak.