Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Perfect Starting Seven  (Read 6338 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Starting Seven
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:49 pm »

Continued necro

I typically embark with

-4 Miners, 3 of whom are novice Masons and the other of whom is a novice stonecrafter
-1 Farmer, who has some points in farming and brewing
-1 Woodworker, who cuts and carpents, and if I feel like it, has novice Axedwarf
-1 "Bigboss", who is adequate organiser, record keeper, and appraiser, and if I have the points, novice diagnoser

I even name them the same every time...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 12:35:13 am »

I begin with 4 miners, all with points in swimming. Nearly all my forts involve waterworks, so I find it a useful bit of insurance. It's saved lives more than a couple times. They're all assigned architecture and masonry on embark.

Other than that, three growers - One with brewing, one with mechanics, woodcutting. Everyone probably sleeps on the floor until the first wave of migrants. Then we have a dedicated woodcutter/carpenter or two, otherwise the grower is drafted to make things as needed.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:37 am »

Here are the starting seven dwarves I've been bringing along to my last few fortresses. I'm trying to figure out the best set of superdwarvenly competent individuals to bring along, in order to get the fortress started off swiftly and end up with dwarves with desirable skills.

The starting seven are going to be most important during the first year. By spring of the second year, the fort will have somewhere around 30 migrants plus the starting seven. So the main use for the first migrants is getting the fort running.

To that end, I always take four miners to max out how much digging I can get done. It helps a great deal, and I usually have a fully functional fort by the third year.

I also take two farmers; a farmer/brewer and a farmer/cook. The primary industry that I want up and running in the first year is farming, so that I'll have a steady supply of booze. Food comes from several sources, but if I get farms up first, food can come from there.

And that leaves one dwarf for carpenter/woodworker.

The remaining skills that I scatter across my dwarves are Stoneworker, so we'll have an early craft, and the necessary Broker/Appraiser/Bookkeeper skills.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:54:06 am by AngleWyrm »

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:58 am »

I practically dont spend time on a carefull embark
I say i get some barrels of ale ,
A hunter dwarf , 2 miners (masoners too) , a woodcutter , a carpenter/bowyer/crafter , a jeweler , a social dwarf and well a security dwarf
Desu

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 05:38:14 am »

I prefer small fortresses, and usually divide/"deport" large parts of the population, which is why I like my starting 7 to handle most jobs themselves.

1 Mason/gem cutter
1 Farmer/brewer
1 Armorsmith/metalsmith
1 Miner/Blacksmith
1 Carpenter/wood cutter/furnace operator/wood burner
2 Miners/engravers

High master migrants eventually replace the original 7, so they work hard initially but may relax later.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 06:38:00 am »

Of course it's best to tailor your starting dwarves to the embark, but lately I've been thinking it's best to start with all of your starting dwarves as miners, with say level four or five in the skill, and also one mason, woodcutter, and carpenter. I also usually have one mechanic (which doesn't always get used right away, I can cope without mechanisms early on) and one brewer, and usually I go for a herbalist off the bat rather than a grower. If possible, I like to give one dwarf at least one in appraise and diagnostician, since you're never guaranteed that a diagnostician is going to turn up. I usually pay for the skills by removing all the bags, cloth, thread, splints and crutches at startup, most of these things can be easily traded/made within the first year and they yield a lot of points for skills.

I tend to go with lots of miners because it annoys me if I have to wait too long before building my workshops and storage areas before I can begin cranking out beds, tables, chairs and doors or have anywhere to put them.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Arclacke

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 07:25:00 am »

3 miner/engraving/stone detailing/architeture/mason
2 woodcutter/carpentry/woodworking
2 farmer/butcher/herbalist/brewer

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:09 pm »

Dwarfs I will always bring:
Trader
Grower
Armor smith/smelter
Weapon smith/smelter

The other 3 vary with my mood and the site but range from practical (mason, carpenter, cook) to more interesting or harder to level up (mechanic, glassblower, gemsetter)

I'm very minimal when it comes to items brought. I go with an anvil, a couple wood, a pittance of copper nuggets and cassiterite for tools. The rest is spent on minimal seeds, leather for bags, a small handful of cave lobster and booze, and dogs.

Perhaps one of these days if I'm feeling rambunctious enough I'll try one of these 0 point embarks. Or perhaps the more common peasants with an anvil and 2 copper nuggets just to get things moving.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 04:18:32 pm »

Like others, I try to get my base dug out with the first 7 as well as attempting establish the core of my fort (military, leadership, health care, & food).

2 Military (Both with points in teacher and student as well as combat skills; squad leader gets high ax skill, the other gets medium armor and dodge skill.)
2 Growers (Each doubling as either a Cook or a Brewer.)
1 Noble (Bookkeeper, Leader, Manager, Trader, etc.; starts with social skills to insure promotion to higher positions.)
1 Craft (Mason, Mechanic, Building Designer, & Carpenter.)
1 Doctor (Maxed Diagnostician & other skills.)

I start with 2 training axes and 5 picks. The military guys are ax dwarfs, so they cut down trees. The rest dig out my base. The base is usually finished being dug out by the first or second migrant wave and then everyone starts dumping stone while the craft dwarf makes bridges, floodgates, mechanisms, and hooks everything up so I can start farming. The Military guys start training while the growers start growing. Then I make beds, barrels, and bins while I look for iron deposits to begin making trap components and steel battle axes. After that I dig out my pit trap and set it up while I conscript more migrants to my army. At this point I'm all set up so I get to start working on large scale projects while I wait for sieges.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Killabyte

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:29 pm »

I always use:

~Miner/Engraver
~Miner/Stone Crafter
~Woodcutter/Carpenter
~Mason/Building Designer
~Mechanic/Gem Setter/Gem Cutter
~Grower/Brewer/Butcher/Cook
~Fisherman/Grower/Brewer

Not the best starting seven, but good enough for me until my first migrant wave.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:35 am »

Peasant
Peasant
Peasant
Peasant
Peasant
Planter-5, Brewer-5