Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Major Noob looking for help!!  (Read 721 times)

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Major Noob looking for help!!
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:07:15 pm »

Hello all!  First I want to say I have been reading the wiki and the complete newbie guide despite the fact its outdated. 

My questions more pertain to the look and setup of the game.  There are so many mods and tilesets compatabile with differing versions I want to know what are some popular ones up to date eith the current version?

Also the stories and the capabilities of this game are awesome but I find myself hoping theres some sort of better 2d interface that doesnt look like jumbled programming code.  I tried the total noob set but everything seems so far away its hard to even see the pictures of the dwarves.  I messed with the ini file to no avail.  Would messing with my computers resolution help to make it appear closer and clearer?  My current resolution is 1024 x 768.

Any advice or suggestions on what sounds like an awesome game is appreciated.

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Major Noob looking for help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 01:13:46 pm »

Another question I just thought of.  What is the difference between legends and fortress mode?  I want the legends in my game but playing fortress gameplay is what interests me the most.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »

Check out the Lazy Newb Pack. It contains multiple tilesets and you can switch between them easily. It also has all utilities you might want to use, especiall Dwarf Therapist.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:19:00 pm »

Legends mode is just a way to look at the history of your world, that history is there in fortress mode, and your dwarves will reference it when making engravings and whatnot.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 01:22:56 pm »

Also, I believe that the you can zoom. Try using your mousewheel.

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 01:29:57 pm »

I have the lazy newb pack. How do you load the utilities? I think I received an error trying to install them ill check when I get home tonight.

I zoomed in as far as I could but it still isnt as close as screenshots i have seen.  Ill play more tonight thanks for your help.  Im assuming the easy newb tilesets are the best ill find graphics wise?

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:57 pm »

The ones in the newb pack are the main ones.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »

I have the lazy newb pack. How do you load the utilities? I think I received an error trying to install them ill check when I get home tonight.

I zoomed in as far as I could but it still isnt as close as screenshots i have seen.  Ill play more tonight thanks for your help.  Im assuming the easy newb tilesets are the best ill find graphics wise?
The Mayday Graphics set is included in the Lazy Newb Pack.  Go to the "graphics" tab in the launcher, and choose to install the mayday set.  Say yes to "update saves?".  If you receive strange errors, I would recommend re-downloading the LNP in case your original download got corrupted.

The Mayday Graphics set is the one used in the Complete Newby Tutorial, and appears much brighter and a little more "cartoony" in style than the Phoebus pack does (which is installed by default), and things are generally easier to see.  Phoebus has a distinct graphic for each dwarf for each profession with a lot of detail in its dwarf images which can however make them hard to "see".  It's nice to be able to know whether that's an Armorsmith or a Metalcrafter wandering around your fort, but if you're accustomed to Mayday, then it'll be easier to stick with that.  Mayday's dwarves appear "bigger and easier to see" even though they're 16x16 just like Phoebus'.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

AQuebman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 02:06:36 pm »

Thanks fo your help I just got done lookinf at maydays graphics a moment ago and I think it would look clearer all together.  Not only the dwarves but the backgrounds etc...

Ill play tonight and possibly reload the pack if it errors again.  Im sure more questions will come to me as I play.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

It's certainly brighter.  Phoebus' cavern-floors are quite dark, and even smoothed marble tiles appear gray.

The main thing I prefer about the Phoebus set is that there is a disctinctive picture for each dwarven profession.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."