Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gathering water through rain  (Read 1710 times)

JoeCB

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering water through rain
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 01:12:48 am »

On my current fort, I drained a murky pool and it was bone dry for about 4 years. Then in about a year rain filled it back up to 7/7.  I didn't expect it but thought it was neat.

I'm in a temperate forest.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29:07 am »

In a hot or scorching climate where ALL standing water is vulnerable to evaporation
Exception: hot tropical forest protect its murky pools and they wont evaporate.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 01:53:39 am »

In a hot or scorching climate where ALL standing water is vulnerable to evaporation

Hot tropical forest, or hot tropical moist forest? I also noticed that water wasn't evaporating in mine, but then, the rain.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 05:20:04 am »

That would explain why I had pools of water standing around just fine and dandy in my latest scorching start.  Thanks.

I became an expert in rainwater collection techniques after an embark on a volcano in the savannah and didn't learn until too late about "extreme evaporation".  My dwarves ate above-ground crops and not much fish.  When I did collect enough rain-water, I found that the biome had turned it brackish, so I had to desalinate it.  To solve my water-woes once and for all, I undertook the construction of a pump-stack to bring water to the surface from the bottom of a 93 z-level cavern.  Halfway through its construction, I found the aquifer that I had believed the embark-screen to have merely been taunting me about.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 [2]