Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gladiators.  (Read 951 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Gladiators.
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:31:32 am »

My plan to spice things up in Canyonowns is to have a fighting arena, get some enemies to fight there and most important, have some dwarven gladiators.

They will be living away from other community: I will burrow them into a section which has bedrooms, training room and food stockpile. Question is, will they be happy if they eat straight from the stockpile? If I want to make a mess hall for them, other dwarves will come there too and that isn't good. I want the gladiators' section only be available for gladiators, except for the guys that refill food stocks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tell me if it needs something else.

EDIT: I want the arena to be equally dangerous to both hostile beasts and my dwarves, so I won't put weapon traps (they hurt only enemies)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:33:13 am by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiators.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:59:54 am »

Dwarves do get an unhappy thought about having to eat without proper dining room, I believe. :-\

EDIT: I want the arena to be equally dangerous to both hostile beasts and my dwarves, so I won't put weapon traps (they hurt only enemies)
What about 'upright spike' traps with lethal weapons in them linked to pressure plates with trigger level set to citizen and low enough for anything to trigger it? Maybe link them to a lever in your actual living space (among the non-gladiators) as well. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:25 am »

can't you just lock them there and dump items into a pit on a food stockpile and than reclaim the food/booze/weapons for the gladiators? that way your dwarves can't path to their diner hall

for the cages with enemies you can just create an airlock with bridges, open up the airlock for your normal dwarves, build the cages with enemies in it than lock the airlock. Than open up the airlock for you gladiators and let them decontruct the cage and bring it to their own animal stockpile.

ps: I assume deconstructing a cage doesn't let the creature in it free

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:11:21 am »

I will create menacing spikes, as they can hurt my own dwarves too.

I'll do what you said Dutchling, and make a pit to dump the food into.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:44 am »

I will create menacing spikes, as they can hurt my own dwarves too.

I'll do what you said Dutchling, and make a pit to dump the food into.
You can simply add some sharp spears to those traps as well, not necessarily menacing spiked. Iron Spears can kill your own Dwarfs easily as well.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:42 pm »

Just assign a gladiator burrow?  Put your gladiators in it.  Adjust the size of the burrow as needed to allow other dwarves to drop off supplies, then your gladiators can pick them up.  Or just have a trade area, and allow all your fortress access, except the gladiators.  When the gladiators need supplies, load the trade area with supplies, then allow gladiators access.

Burrows are great for controlling dwarf movement.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »

They should all be using bronze equipment. You also need a king of the arena (assign the expensive box seat to a high ranking noble or something). The coliseum should be enormous and all the seating areas designated as meeting halls. As huge as it would be, it's still not dwarfy enough, so you should have pits and traps in the arena area (upright spikes connected to a lever are good if you want your dwarves to be in danger as well). Make sure these dwarves never become friends with anyone besides other gladiators, in which case, it could be a lot of fun. If they go berserk, you can just catch them in a cage trap on the way back to their rooms, then keep them alive until the next match.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »

Just assign a gladiator burrow?  Put your gladiators in it.  Adjust the size of the burrow as needed to allow other dwarves to drop off supplies, then your gladiators can pick them up.  Or just have a trade area, and allow all your fortress access, except the gladiators.  When the gladiators need supplies, load the trade area with supplies, then allow gladiators access.

Burrows are great for controlling dwarf movement.

There were 2 problems when I set my gladiators in their burrows:

1. While some of the gladiators came train to their training area, some of them didn't. I had to station them in the burrow and after that release them from the station order.

2. Other dwarves came to the area. I had set up a table and chairs so my gladiators wouldn't get unhappy thoughts, but my f*cking thresher came to eat there as well. What the heck?

So I set the doors to be locked, so no dorfs could go there. But now the outsiders tried to get in, and when they couldn't, they tried to move stuff into non-existant stockpiles or eat behind the locked doors. They really wanted to be gladiators.

I wanted to have someone drop some food for dem fighters, but designating a dump over a pit says that is has 0 tiles available. And I really wouldn't like to build a bridge+link it...

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »

I can help with the pit problem you have to make the dump zone one tile big and _next to_ the hole (if a dump zone has an adjacent drop dwarfs will always drop stuff down instead of on the zone).

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »

You can assign each gladiator their own table, so that noone else can eat there. Also, you should be able to flood the arena with water and magma. History is fun!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:19:45 am »

You would ideally need at least two burrows.  One for gladiators.  The other for everyone else.

When you want to give things to the gladiators, set up a garbage heap, set everything you want to move to dump, then push the main burrow defined area over the dump.  Then after stuff is done moving, draw back the main burrow and push the gladiator burrow over the dump, then reclaim everything in the dump.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)