Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to get seeds for surface farming? (and spiral ramps)  (Read 1796 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to get seeds for surface farming? (and spiral ramps)
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

Title. I want to make an aboveground fort and I want to know where can I get seeds for aboveground plants. IIRC, all the seeds available at embark are underground. I think humans bring surface plant seeds in their caravans, but I really don't want to wait that long.

Also, will the following design work for making a big shaft with a spiral ramps/stairway around the edge? (I want to have a giant shaft in the middle of my surface town, leading straight down to the magma sea)

# - wall, . - open space, > - stair/ramp

Z:
#####
#>.....#
#.......#
#####

Z - 1:
#####
#.......#
#>.....#
#####

Z - 2:
#####
#.......#
#..>...#
#####

...and so on, with the ramp/stair going around.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Where to get seeds for surface farming? (and spiral ramps)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »

Gather plants will let you collect native plants on your map, which you can brew/process/eat for seeds. Also humans and elfs can bring surface plant seeds.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »

So, if I just gather plants, will I be able to get a farm running before starvation starts? I usually bring a total of 120 units of meat at embark. Will that last long enough? Also, I assume that surface plants are seasonal. I always used to rely on the plump helmets to be growing year-round, so this should be fun.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:20:10 pm »

Surface plants seem to grow equally well in all seasons.  Maybe the snows of winter might have some effect, but I doubt it.

I also think that underground plants growing in caverns pop up randomly regardless of season.  I'd have to check on that though.

It is indeed odd that the only food production affected by seasons is growing crops underground that have never known the light of day, and also fishing (if your rivers freeze).
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »

Embarking with a proficient miller/plant processor helps, if you are going to depend on above ground crops, with a proficient plant gatherer too. Longlandgrass seems to be the best choice to plant, since the wheat can be used, in prepared meals,and in unmilled form, eaten raw, or brewed.
 Utilize, on embark, the cheap price of sand bags. As soon as you can, either through stock menu, or individual dumping, dump the sand. that way you can get lots of free bags, for seed storage, or wheat storage. When you decide, the dwarfs are safe from starvation, process any bladeweed, you have collected, for emerald dye, to trade.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:23:57 am »

I'm fairly certain that surface shrubs are seasonal.  The surface farms you plant aren't though.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:31:53 am »

I start with 5 miners.  Each miner has a secondary skill, mason, mechanic, stonecrafter, cook, brewer.  I also have a farmer, who only has 8 social skills + plant and gather skills.  My last dwarf has all 10 points in leader / administrative skills, and a couple social skills.

I embark with 30 meat, 20 plump helmets, and 5 plump helmet spawns.  This is normally enough for me to get a farm started and a well built without risking starvation.

If clean water won't be easy to get, I immediately set the farmer to collecting plants and set the leader to cutting trees while the miners start the excavation of the first storage area.

I've never actually planted humanfoods though, I generally just set the ones I collect to brew only, then cook the seeds with plump helmets.  I'll buy every seed and plant from every caravan to brew with the foods and cook with the seeds.

(d then p) from main menu for selecting a plant harvesting area.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:34:26 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:43:00 am »

Since no one has commented on it, that design for your spiral ramp has one of two flaws in it, depending on whether those > symbols are meant to be down-ramps or down-stairs.

• If those are ramps, you'll need a wall behind the ramp (that is, orthogonally opposite where the dwarves will walk up it from) to make it usable. Consider a 2x2 shaft, or a 3x3 with the ramps in the middle of each side (a double-helix is possible this way)
  • If those are stairs, you'll need up-stairs as well, but otherwise it's workable.

Either way, it won't allow for a great deal of traffic.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 01:48:38 am »

Are you making the spiral staircase for a reason, or is it just because you want to make a spiral staircase?

If you just want fast Dwarfy movement, I've run some pretty large and busy areas with quad staircases like so:

OOODDO
OXXXXO
ODDOOO

O = wall (I don't trust any ramp or staircase without as much support as possible  ;D
D = Door, or Open space if you don't need/want doors
X = up/down stairs

I put two exit tiles on opposite corners of the staircase so dwarves have a choice to avoid traffic.  Typically I use these staircases to punch straight down through large work and storage areas, so haulers might have to go any direction from the stairway

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:51:53 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:29 am »

I just embark with a proficient plant gatherer/grower, he spends the first 2 seasons gathering random plants while I brew/eat them, by then I have enough seeds to stop starvation at which point I irrigate an area underground for plumpies :)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:57:30 am »

if you survived 2 seasons just from foraging then why would you bother with growing  ::)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 08:01:07 am »

if you survived 2 seasons just from foraging then why would you bother with growing  ::)

It's a lot easier to support 7-50 dwarves on random spawns than 150, heh.

I have yet to build a fort that couldn't be 100% supported for both food and drink by a single 5x5 plot of plump helmets.  I normally have to let the plot lie fallow every other season after my farmer gets to legendary.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

So, how about this design

# - wall, > - down ramp, < - up ramp . - open space, X - floor
Z:
#####
#<.....#
#X>...#
#####

Z - 1:
#####
#.....>#
#...<X#
#####

Z - 2:
#####
#.>X<#
#.......#
#####

Would those extra segments of floor make the ramps usable? I recall I had a similar ramp structure in a previous fort and I think it worked.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »

I think you original idea was fine, though you would need flat landings whenever you wanted to change directions with the ramps, I think.  Never tried to make a spiral ramp staircase before - might fool with it tonight if I have time and verify how it works.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 04:21:20 pm »

It's not the floor that's important, it's the wall beneath the floor.

Code: [Select]
# - wall, > - down ramp, < - up ramp . - open space, X - floor
Z:
#####
#<..#
#X>.#
#####

Z - 1:
#####
#..>#
##<X#
#####

Z - 2:
#####
#>X<#
#..##
#####
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.