Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your favourite nostalgic Dwarf Fortress moments  (Read 4901 times)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite nostalgic Dwarf Fortress moments
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

i haven't heard anyone say my most memorable nostalgic moments from 40d, being able to farm with sand and things of that nature and war dogs actually being able to inflict a wound
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 06:55:16 pm »

My favorite nostalgic moment was the first time piercing the pit of HFS. I hadn't the benefit of the wiki back then, just a few videos from Captain Duck. Seeing those dwarf corpses really put me on edge. Immense fun ensued.

HFS in 40d was a lot harder to kill, especially if you encountered a certain type of them...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also have fond memories of early fortress defense experiments. I always found the idea of ballista batteries very appealing, since it was basically launching an entire tree with a pointed tip at someone. Let's just say that after flooding a good part of the fortress trying to build a water moat to funnel invaders in front of the ballistas, and then ending up skewering more dwarves than goblins, I don't really use ballistas much anymore.

Another thing is that I usually thought of sieges more like an invitation to do battle in an open field. Seemed more epic that way. I had absolutely no other kind of defenses other than maybe a few weapon traps scattered around along with chained war dogs, and no drawbridges or moats around the fort entrance proper. Also my farm was outside right next to the trade depot. And it had a hallway going deeper into the fortress.

The goblins REALLY liked my dining room though, because when I came back as an adventurer, they were all hanging out in there.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Weird Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 07:05:42 pm »

My favorite nostalgic moment was the first time piercing the pit of HFS. I hadn't the benefit of the wiki back then, just a few videos from Captain Duck. Seeing those dwarf corpses really put me on edge. Immense fun ensued.

Me too, but i went on the IRC and asked what this was and somebody would mention that it was a lot of "fun"...Not knowing or giving it much thought i dug straight down into...fun...a lot of fun...

Also...
Not to long ago i embarked at a volcano, surrounded by ice and tundra, with a dragon living next door and it was awesome. I think people active in the IRC noticed that nostalgia :P
************: yea, cuz i didnt spend hours diggin out a fort...no..i spent hours trying to get the cats fuck eachother so i can watch them be on the same tile

;O

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »

Everytime i see carp Horribly slaughter something , it reminds me of the times back then in the old 40D where carp is Short for death

And my first encounter with HFS , damn , but those Silly Old Folks turned my fortress into !!Fortress!!

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

I saw an imp and thought back to when my first good fort got wiped out by a wildfire started by a stray imp fireball. The elves were pissed but I was getting finished off by goblins and could care less what they did to me.

Good times
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:07:04 pm by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

I saw an imp and thought back to when my first good fort got wiped out by a wildfire started by a stray imp fireball. The elves were pissed but I was getting finished off by goblins and could care less what they did to me.

I remember this happening to me, too. Flat, heavily forested terrain. Had my farmers out working an aboveground farm, and my miners working on the first rooms of the fortress below them. An imp appears out of the shallow caldera, and launches one at my horse because it decided to wander too far. !FWOOSH!

Quickly had all four miners dig a trench around the farms. One guy wound up on the wrong side too long though,and the imp claimed its first victim.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:42 am »

During a goblin siege my captain of the guard managed to get into the fray with his squeaky plastic hammer.  He had cotton candy armor so I wasn't so worried about him getting killed, but I was shocked sir, SHOCKED that he killed a goblin with his hammer.  I checked the combat logs: Urist McCaptain got a lucky strike on the goblin's head tearing the brain!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.
Pages: 1 [2]