Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just fought an Ettin.  (Read 545 times)

Hanslineman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just fought an Ettin.
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »

So I was in this fun fight with Ularg the Perfumed Graces a two-headed Ettin.

This game loves detail. after a couple minutes of fighting, I check in on his Wounds. Right now he's residing on about 20-30 separate wounds, including fun ones like Left Head Broken Front tooth. or Right head flayed tongue. and then checking his status, my screen is assaulted by bloody red words making sure I know in exquisite detail that his right foot is not only broken, but indeed flayed, split open, crushed, mangled and otherwise abused. This literally filled my entire screen, inviting me to scroll down to view more wounds.

At last count he has three broken ears, three nonfunctioning eyes, 6 broken fingers, 5 broken toes, two split cheek's, two damaged throats and numerous other wounds, including three broken teeth.

Note to self, sending 15 Urists out armed with training axes and crossbows are fun. now if only I was slowly beating a two-headed elf to death with bits of wood... sigh. next time.

And now my game died  :'( oh well.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Just fought an Ettin.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:16:23 pm »

Heh, that sounds pretty similar to my recent ettin fight.  I was completely unprepared with no military and my narrow walkway with spear traps wasn't quite finished yet. 

I figured my only hope was to get the ettin to dodge into the pit, so I recruited a bunch of weaponless useless dwarves and sent them towards the walkway.  He killed about 4 of them before he dodged into my pit and broke both of his legs.  My remaining recruits spent the next LONG while kicking the poor ettin until he had pages and pages of red injuries and he eventually died.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »

What a coincidence! So did I.

The thing about Ettin's (and other semi/megabeasts) is that due to their incredible size they can take ridiculous amounts of punishment. Apparently Ettin's are 133 times bigger than dwarves. So when dwarves attack them, they end up creating tons of wounds before the beast actually takes enough damage to die.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42:47 pm »

What a coincidence! So did I.

The thing about Ettin's (and other semi/megabeasts) is that due to their incredible size they can take ridiculous amounts of punishment. Apparently Ettin's are 133 times bigger than dwarves. So when dwarves attack them, they end up creating tons of wounds before the beast actually takes enough damage to die.

today I had an encounter with a forgotten beast, an eyeless buffalo. I sent my group of marksdwarves (8 dwarves) and damn did they take long to kill it. Most of them first started to hammer it crossbows, but there were also 3-4 guys shooting it point blank. It generated +130 pages of fighting reports, geez...
I guess that was  ahuge buffalo too. At least it swam trough a underwater lake with no problems.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »

It seems i've finally done it. The latest syndrome spreading beast had a particularly nasty syndrome that can't be treated (at least that's what my doctors seem to think as they send everyone out of hospital after diagnosis). It leaves the victims bleeding and with blisters (the blood seems to spread the disease too). After a few days they suffocate.