Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspended "floor"  (Read 395 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suspended "floor"
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:06 pm »

So I want my statue garden outside, and I found a nice spot, it's in the middle of a canyon (river at the bottom), and it provides protection, light, and an easy location to make a waterfall. But here's the thing, there's no existing natural floors there, and so I'd have to build all of them. Well if I build floors I can't build on top of them, and I can't build walls underneath without extreme micro-managing, and building one row at a time and having to constantly take out scaffolding 1 piece at a time (more micro-managing) and build wall there. So is there really any way to build suspended "floors" and actually be able to build on them?
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Suspended "floor"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »

In short, no.

If you know what you'd build on top of a wall built one level underneath, just build that from scratch instead. There's a little trick you can do with floors. First you order as much space filled as you can (works best if you have access to all sides of the building area), then you q over the parts you want to be non-floor and cancel them.

Why do you need so much scaffolding?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

Scaffolding to build a floor of walls 1 z-level down, they have to build from the same z-level and so it would go like:

+|                     +||                       +|||
         +|                     +||                       +|||
         +|     ---->         +||       ---->         +|||
+++++|               ++++||                  +++|||
                   += floor(scaffolding) |= Wall
And so on and so forth, and it would be MUCH larger.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:34 pm »

You don't need to do that. You can start from the level above, where the top of the walls would be. You need to plan it out first unless you're willing to build a mass of floor and then later deconstruct the tiles you want to be non-floor, but you don't need to start from a solid foundation.

When starting from a solid foundation, like a wall-top or natural stone, you can build walls and stairs / ramps on it without limit.
When starting from a constructed floor, you need to remove the constructed floor tile before you can replace it with a constructed wall / stair / ramp tile.

How complicated were you planning on making the area filling the chasm?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:28:58 pm »

First, you should note that you cannot construct on top of constructed floors, but you can build on top of them. There's a difference between these things, in that constructions are for making things like walls, floors, staircases, and ramps, while buildings are for every other type of building, including furniture and workshops. Constructions are a special subset of building that forms pseudo-terrain, and only other constructions are restricted from being built on top of constructions.

Second, if you do want to construct a structure with walls entirely out of constructions, bear in mind that walls can be built over open space. So, you just build the floors without the places you want walls, ramps, and staircases to go, then you build a single-tile bridge next to any places where there will be walls on an outside corner (so your dwarves can access those walls to build them), build those outside-corner walls, deconstruct those bridges, then build the rest of the walls and such.

Your problem, I suspect, is that you're missing the first point. You can build statue gardens on top of constructed floors easily since statues and related things are, in fact, not constructions. If that's not actually your problem, I suggest you look into the wiki's article on Towers and other megaprojects, which more-or-less explains how to do such things. Note that while it refers to 40d, nothing has actually changed for 31.x, so it's all still totally valid.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:36:10 pm »

EDIT: nvm about this reply.