Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does milling leave stacks intact?  (Read 363 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Does milling leave stacks intact?
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »

I've been trying to plan out my agriculture industry and I'm having a few problems predicting my outputs and requirements, especially when it comes to milling and bag requirements. 

I know that for each 1x1 plot of pig tail, I can expect a stack of 4-5 plants based on grower skill, and each of those plants turns into 1 thread, which becomes 1 cloth, which becomes 1 bag.  I also know that for each 1x1 plot of quarry bush, I can expect a stack of 4-5 plants based on grower skill, and each stack of plants turns into a stack of leaves containing 5x more leaves; this stack uses up a single bag.  Very efficient!  Huge profit center here.

However, for each 1x1 plot of flour- or dye-producing plant, I can expect a stack of 4-5 plants based on grower skill, which then gets milled into an equivalent number of flour or dye units.  Are the units produced in stacks?  Are the stacks handled like QBLs, where the entire stack of product uses a single bag, or does each unit of flour require its own empty bag?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Does milling leave stacks intact?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »

Milling does leave stacks intact.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Re: Does milling leave stacks intact?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:13:01 pm »

Excellent!  Thanks for the quick reply. 

Now onto my Operations Research numbers, where I compute the approximate value of dwarven labor that goes into a "Bagriculture" economy.  As long as I can get an average crop stack of 3 plants per tile, I can generate enough bags from one season of Pig Tails to bag up the byproducts of three more seasons of bag plants' outputs.  For each tile of farm plot, that gets me 1 bag of ~15 quarry bush leaves, 1 bag of ~3 flour, and 1 bag of ~3 dye over the course of a year... and each year I get to keep the bags!

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.