Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making good rooms  (Read 757 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Making good rooms
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:54:21 am »

What furniture can go in a room to make dwarfs happy? Trying to stop a soon to be tantrum spiral. 

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
Re: Making good rooms
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 04:04:50 am »

I think anything can be used. The trick is to use Quality and to match up stuff to their Likes. Don't forget you can smooth and engrave the floors and walls (usually).

If you want to put a hurt on a Tantrum Spiral you either need to remove the Disgruntled Springs (The dwarves that are going to start the tantrum) or if its too far gone for that try and get something big and fancy setup like a nice statue garden and an awesome dining hall with lots of tables. Think of it like a big scale. Happy Thoughts are small marbles. Unhappy Thoughts are like heavy blocks. You wanna pile a lot of happy thoughts onto all your dwarves' scales to outweigh the occsional unhappy thought.

Its 4am here so if this doesn't make entirely good sense slap on a Sleep Deprivation Filter and re-read it  ;)

My dwarves' thoughts generally read like this:

"Has slept in a good/great/awesome/royal bed lately. Has ate in a Legendary Dining Hall lately. Has had a decent/nice/great meal lately.Has had a good/awesome drink lately.Has been disappointed by the lack of tables lately. (Damn dwarves! Don't take your breaks all at once! hehe) Has admired one or three nice pieces of construction lately (I have a good quality drawbridge and they like that XD).

So you can work on your problem in both broad and targeted ways depending on what your current situation is.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:09 am »

I give my dwarves a 3x3 bedroom with a bed, a chest and a cabinet. (and a door ofc but the dwarves won;t ''own'' the door like they own the chest and the cabinet.
I'm also going to smooth and engrave them (If I find out how to not make my fortress look like a big pile of junk cause of the engravings :S

btw: I think you should just get a waterfall in the stairs or dining hall, it will keep them very happy until the drown

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 06:56:48 am »

There's an option in one of the init files that turns on and off "detailed engravings" or something so it's a generic "this wall be marked" instead of a mine rendition of the story.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:01:33 am »

There's an option in one of the init files that turns on and off "detailed engravings" or something so it's a generic "this wall be marked" instead of a mine rendition of the story.
Does it turn off only the graphical representation or the text also?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:25:21 am »

* 3x3 room as per previous post (I also put table/chair there for kicks)

* If you have time, encrust and stud furniture - even if doors do not count for room, dwarves can still admire them.

* You can engrave floors that are under built furniture without ruining aesthetics of fort.

* If you have artifact that can be used for constructions (furniture works, but weapons also work in weapon trap as well), build it in dining room.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:51:55 am »

1x1 bedroom for each dorfs and magma pit for all nobles. Nothing beats squeezing every single one into a 15x15 communal room. Less walking, more goblinite hauling.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:20 am »

Apparently making a legendary dining room isn't as easy as it sounds... I have something like 1.2 million dwarfbucks worth of furniture in a gigantic fully smoothed area and it's only 'royal'.  No matter, The entire thing will be plated in platinum soon...
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:00 am »

i have a legendary dining room, just put extra stuff in there, jewel encrusted is good too i didnt mean to make it like that, just so happened that i saw a thought ate in a legendary dinging room, maybe because the floor has gold and platinum in it

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:46 am »

Apparently making a legendary dining room isn't as easy as it sounds... I have something like 1.2 million dwarfbucks worth of furniture in a gigantic fully smoothed area and it's only 'royal'.  No matter, The entire thing will be plated in platinum soon...

There is no 'legendary room', you are wasting your time.
Even kings(the most annoying and hard to get noble) only need royal room. There's no legendary room.

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »

I built my Dining Hall in a large room that I had dug out to get Magnetite. So it has good values for size and material (Magnetite has a good value).

I plopped some nice statues in it. And have been filling it with chairs and tables. EVERY SQUARE of the room is smoothed and engraved. Dwarves love their Legendary Dining Room of Awesomeness.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:02 pm »

There is no 'legendary room', you are wasting your time.
Even kings(the most annoying and hard to get noble) only need royal room. There's no legendary room.

Dwarfs will call rooms legendary in happy thoughts.

tsen, I just use gold tables and chairs. 10-20 sets of tables/chairs, smooth the room, and make a sweet well. Bam, legendary.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »

I use an 11x11 (shift + arrow) room, with two rows of seven tables and chairs each, and the whole thing smoothed and engraved. It works just fine for about fifty dwarves, and I usually don't let my forts get much bigger than that.