Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mount & Blade / Warband Mods?  (Read 10299 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade / Warband Mods?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 12:10:32 am »

My problem with mount and blade is that I always die if I try to actually fight in combat, thus ruining the point of the game for me. I do best if I sit back and let my army fight, which is boring.
Just lower the amount of damage you receive, and be sure to actually have some combat skills and decent armour.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 12:53:51 am »

My problem with mount and blade is that I always die if I try to actually fight in combat, thus ruining the point of the game for me. I do best if I sit back and let my army fight, which is boring.

The best way to actually get involved in the fighting in singleplayer is go heavy cavalry with two throwing weapons, shield, and the longest lance you can find.  You can practically win battles on your own this way.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 01:36:41 am »

Going heavy cavalry usually makes me want a chainsaw lance, so that I don't have to circle around after every couched hit. While a good way to easily win battles since it doesn't really require additional skills for the character, I personally find using a bow, shield, and heavy morningstar or bastard sword a much more rewarding experience. With a sword, I can take out two or three infantrymen on a single pass through the fray, when a spear or lance will net me one at most.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:27 am »

The best way to actually get involved in the fighting in singleplayer is go heavy cavalry with two throwing weapons, shield, and the longest lance you can find.  You can practically win battles on your own this way.

Hell no. A good, heavy charger with good armor, a one-handed melee weapon with great damage, a good sturdy shield, and a bow/arrow you can use from horseback for backup. You can take out more men with that setup than anything else.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:03 am »

The problem with this great setup is that, for new players, accurately swinging at things from horseback is an exercise in frustration. I still can't reliably hit stuff at full gallop, for instance. Using a long lance and just lining up the shaft with a target in your way is much much easier. The hard part is finding a good lance that can be used with a shield, though jousting lances can be a neat thing, especially since they don't kill.

Personally, I think going all ranged can be neat as well, though you'll still need a melee weapon of SOME kind. If you can shoot well, a siege crossbow and two large bags of steel bolts will be a great help to your force. You'll need to dismount your horse to use one, of course, but if you just cluster your archers around you you'll be able to effectively support any melee your other troops get into.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:16 am »

The problem with this great setup is that, for new players, accurately swinging at things from horseback is an exercise in frustration. I still can't reliably hit stuff at full gallop, for instance. Using a long lance and just lining up the shaft with a target in your way is much much easier. The hard part is finding a good lance that can be used with a shield, though jousting lances can be a neat thing, especially since they don't kill.

Personally, I think going all ranged can be neat as well, though you'll still need a melee weapon of SOME kind. If you can shoot well, a siege crossbow and two large bags of steel bolts will be a great help to your force. You'll need to dismount your horse to use one, of course, but if you just cluster your archers around you you'll be able to effectively support any melee your other troops get into.
Just nab the heaviest armor you can get and an axe or pick. Wait for the enemy to be about to reach your line of soldiers, then charge from the back and kill until you're solid red, or dead.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 04:46:58 am »

No, that's the easiest way.  The best way is as a horse archer with a really fast horse.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 05:06:39 am »

No, that's the easiest way.  The best way is as a horse archer with a really fast horse.

Yeah, but... it's not honorable.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 06:04:32 am »

Make sure you get the winged great helmet as soon as you can. It makes for some fairly decent iron sights when lancing. Jousting lance, kite shield, board shield, sword of war.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:16 am »

Easiest way was my intended meaning (i.e. best for someone who's having trouble).
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »

Sword of Damocles, Eagle and the Radiant Cross,and The Last Days are the best mods for M&B. Heard Hegemony series was good too, but I haven't played that one.

Warband doesn't have that many good mods out.

I noticed that they did port over Eagle and the Radiant Cross to Warband so I'd check that one out. Probably makes it the best Warband released mod.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:38:14 pm by Lap »
Pages: 1 [2]