Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've Embarked in Hell  (Read 1790 times)

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
  • Just turn 360 degrees and walk away.
    • View Profile
I've Embarked in Hell
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:05:10 am »

Hello, everyone. SO delightful to finally talk with all of you, for a change.  :)

Anyway, I've been playing DF for several weeks now, and I've enjoyed scratching into the earth while juggling my lovably insane midgets.
A slight conundrum-or, well, issue of colossal scale- has driven me to finally creating a Bay 12 account. You see, I appear to have embarked in what I believe, based on the information I've seen on these forums, a demonic fortress: resplendant in eerie glowing pits and submerged on a strange pocket within the magma sea, I will simply call it Hell... for I have very little experience with DF, having played, again, only a few weeks.

So, anyway....
My embark consisted of a simple volcano in the middle of a red sand desert; normally I wouldn't pursue such a start without a river, but it was one of the few desert volcanoes I had found. I had felt Fate had smiled upon me, for there was a single aquifer layer I felt I might be able to exploit to create a desert oasis of obsidian spires and Viennan channels. As it finally loaded, I commenced my standard procedure of examining the features of my embark. I noted with a sigh that the snow glitch had occurred once again, and I was panned to a cavern collapse message near the volcano's portion of the screen; and I also looked slightly to the north to find with delight that the volcano had a caldera that ended within the middle of the hill. Looking around once more, I felt satisfied with the potential of this embark for me to begin my first real fort... until I happened across a great hole in the northeastern portion of the map.
I looked into this pit and felt shock as I passed by the 3 cavern layers, until finally reaching the magma sea I've heard so much about. I reached a structure of slade even further downwards, and there I saw labels of "Eerie Glowing Pit" mext to my wagon.
AT this point, I was dumbfounded. So I simply pressed resume, and the game froze for about a minute....
When it began again, I received a popup of horrifying screams from below or something like that, and a demon popped out of nowhere, moving at about 0.1 frames per second towards my hapless dwarves.
...What now?
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: I've Embarked in Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:44 am »

Tales of glitched embarks like these tell of horrid FPS, so you're probably better off abandoning.

While certainly different, the FPS is a real issue if it's THAT low at the start, assuming it wouldn't get better over time. And even if it would, you still have the issue of all that HFS slowly crawling towards your meager dorf troops.

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:36:49 am »

Yes, I'm aware of the FPS problems. Although, it really is quite fascinating.
For one thing, there are strange structures of ice hanging above the magma sea, and after reembarking slightly to the north to see if it would fix itself, I've now discovered two perfectly flat slade spires rising out of the depths, and the magma is covered in snow....
Daily Blurb

Efficiency and esotericism are the true facets of alignment; not good and evil, for both good and evil are subjective. Good and evil are simply chaos -- and order is their absence.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:43:00 am »

Yes, I'm aware of the FPS problems. Although, it really is quite fascinating.
For one thing, there are strange structures of ice hanging above the magma sea, and after reembarking slightly to the north to see if it would fix itself, I've now discovered two perfectly flat slade spires rising out of the depths, and the magma is covered in snow....

Well, that certainly gives new meaning to the phrase "When Hell freezes over."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:24:20 am »

Apparently you found the adamantine space elevator on it's trip back down. Too bad it hit a fort and dissapeared. Then got replaced by slade. Give us the save!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24:24 am »

Turn off caveins and reembark on the original spot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:34 am »

You shall now be bombarded with requests of "upload save plz" or "worldgen params plz". Good thing there's a wiki page on how to do that now.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »

What's the snow glitch?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »

Apparently you found the adamantine space elevator on it's trip back down. Too bad it hit a fort and dissapeared. Then got replaced by slade. Give us the save!

I think getting Slade in exchange for an adamantine space elevator is an excellant trade, how else will we know it's christmas?
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:32:54 pm »

Off-topic slightly, but I've been looking for an embark that pretty much follows the OPs exactly.

Minus the hell-pit, I mean. *shock and awe*

If anyone can provide, PM me!

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED EMBARKPLZ'S.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:06 pm »

You shall now be bombarded with requests of "upload save plz" or "worldgen params plz". Good thing there's a wiki page on how to do that now.

World gen params please. This is an unreproducible thing, so we'll get the normal embark.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:52:28 pm »

Sorry, just got back. Also, I've only just joined and have been playing DF for a relatively short time now, so I'm not particularly sure how to give you such as a save.  ???
...And I wouldn't recommend playing with it, either. It really is unplayable, as the fps speed decreases exponentially until it seems like the entire game has frozen. If I can figure out to upload it, though, I'd be more than happy to give you all a crack at it.
Daily Blurb

Amallar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:23 pm »

Hmm, I'll try to get the params....

Oh! I've forgotten to tell you guys that this is .16, because my game crashed in .17 when my first dwarf died.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:56:28 pm by Amallar »
Daily Blurb