Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-ins  (Read 688 times)

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
Cave-ins
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:23:13 pm »

For my current fort Im casting a massive central stalactite out of Obsidian. Problem is I want it to hang in the middle of an open area. So Im going to cause a "controlled" cavein to open up space, and I just want my logic checked before I start.

-So for starters, cave-ins only punch through what is effectively the "Roof" between two open areas, yes? So a solid z-level, even if its is hanging above another open space will stop this?
-Imange trying to cause a a 3x3 cube to colapse. Basicly I would have to completely mine and channel out a 5x5 area around it to make it drop right? Mining that much means it wont be connected to anything (Im trying to help myself visualise the whole process and Im simplifing it).
-Balancing the whole thing on a support, connecting that to a lever and droping the whole thing remotely is the safest way from memory...
-...Will a cave-in distroy mud? Thats not gonna be a problem for a couple of realtime days but thought I might as well ask.

Ill probally have more later after I have stared at these unmined rock layers for a bit longer.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-ins
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:29:45 pm »

1. A cave-in will be stopped if it hits a z-level with a wall on it, if it's an empty tile, it will crash straight through the roof and through the floor if there isn't a wall below it.

2. To make it fall, it cannot be connected to anything at all. So imagine it like this:
Side view:
#####
#MMM#
#MMM#
#MMM#
#####
Top view is the same thing.
Where # is open space (no floor) and M is a wall of the cube, for the top it is a floor.

3. Yep.

4. Not sure.

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »

Right cheers. Yeah thats pretty much what I was visualising for number 2. Now I just have to wrap my mind around that but bigger and with a upside down cone in the middle. Another question the cave in withh distroy any mined rock underneath huh? Cause that will help with my cleanup and save me atom smashing the lot.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »

It should. You'll have to deal with the stone left over though. Also, I think walls can pile up on each other when they land, as in a piece of rock survives and starts collecting more pieces on top of it, leaving a giant chunk.

Or that could only be soil, I tend to avoid cave-ins as much as possible.