Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training Question  (Read 489 times)

Sublemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military Training Question
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:23:50 am »

So, I'm not completely new, but I'm not quite a seasoned player either. I've created a military, equipped, set up with a barracks and created a decent schedule(or so I think), but it appears my military wants to meet, practice drills and what not, but they don't appear to be skilling up at any decent rate. I've created multiple squads of 3 each(in hopes to promote sparring), each one has a min 3 month alternating between a min 1 month in the schedule, each has gear, and they appear to meet up at barracks, but its been 2 years and I barely have anything to show for it. I check each one frequently, they are properly geared(some axedwarves, other hammerdwarves) but when I look at the skill page on Dwarf Therapist, it doesn't seem like they are getting anywhere. I've pretty much given up on the marksdwarves, they appear to practice when they please, but I'm determined to have a decent military before I go any farther underground. I'm playing 2010, using mayday graphics, have a 5x10 barracks, they have a stockpile of food, and on an occasion they appear to be sparring. Is this normal? Is it expected to take 5 years before you see champions and what not? Thanks in advance(I've tried to search for this on the forums, but looking up any keyword I can think of brings up a plethora of unrelated topics sadly).

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:56 am »

If you check therapist, everytime they individually train they get like 30 xp or so. It's better for them to spare (100-200 xp?) or watch demonstration from experienced migrant (100 ish xp over the board?) Fastest natural training is with marksmen assigned to archery range, I dont know why yours take long. If you really want rapid training, I suggest live training on captured creatures. Or simply mod your dwarves to all start with legendary +5 in all skills.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:04 am »

What have you got after two years? Based on a sample size of one, it seems that dwarves skill up very slowly at first if they're all starting from scratch. It takes them ages to get to even Novice, but once they get past Proficient they seem to train a lot better.

10x5 seems large. Pack 'em in like sardines, they have an easier time finding their way to demonstrations and sparring partners that way.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sublemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:11 am »

If you check therapist, everytime they individually train they get like 30 xp or so. It's better for them to spare (100-200 xp?) or watch demonstration from experienced migrant (100 ish xp over the board?) Fastest natural training is with marksmen assigned to archery range, I dont know why yours take long. If you really want rapid training, I suggest live training on captured creatures. Or simply mod your dwarves to all start with legendary +5 in all skills.

I'm trying to staying away from such serious modding(maybe on my next game, haha), but I do appreciate the help. Can you give me an estimated time to reach Champion status? I'm setting at 2 years and have 1 or 2 people about half way, and the rest are barely a 10th of the way.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:57:31 am »

They need combat experience. Once a few dorfs get their first goblin kills they will help the others train faster. If you don't use danger rooms the fighter skill will be the first to hit legendary normally.
On my current fort it took about 5 years untill i had the first champion, but that's with around 3 sieges some mega and forgotten beasts and some camel hunting.
Always check for migrants who have some military skills in dwarf therapist. If you put 3 novice soldiers in a squad and add 2 proficient armor users/fighters to it, it will really boost the squads training speed.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »

I'm trying to staying away from such serious modding(maybe on my next game, haha), but I do appreciate the help. Can you give me an estimated time to reach Champion status? I'm setting at 2 years and have 1 or 2 people about half way, and the rest are barely a 10th of the way.
the early part of training is, in my experience, the slowest. there's fewer sparring sessions (which give more XP) and more demonstrations (which give very little).

A properly equipped 10-spears-per-tile danger room is the fastest method to train (hands down and walking away) but it will take a couple of seasons of constant training in a danger room to get where you want to be. Once they start sparring in the danger room, they pop through skill levels like a balloon.