Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motor nerve damage  (Read 7474 times)

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Motor nerve damage
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »

is this fixable?  or is my new spearmaster unable to move ever again making it useless?  what should i do with them if the damage is unfixable.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Motor nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »

Normally, nerve damage doesn't heal. However, with a small amount of modding, it can be made to heal.

Specifically, enter your dwarf fortress folder/data/save/your region folder/raw/objects/tissue_template_default.txt, find the NERVE_TEMPLATE entry, and add [HEALING_RATE:some number] to it. This will make it start healing; lower numbers means it heals faster, with 100 being the "default" healing rate, and negative values (and possibly 0, though that might instead make nerves heal totally instantly) probably won't work. Note that you have to specifically modify the raws in your save file, not the global raws, unless you want to generate a new world in which nervous injury will heal. It also might not work with severed nerves, though it also might.

If you don't apply this small mod, or it doesn't work, your soldier is forever an invalid if the motor nerve damage is preventing them from standing. Allow them an eternal, preferably fiery, reward.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:36 pm »

though we are attacked and i ordered her unit into battle she remains in bed making me think she is invalid.  bummer, i don't know how mods work, so i'd rather not mess with them, also do mods work on macs?

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »

how to i give her a fiery reward? (i assume u mean magma)  i have a volcano fortress

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:38 pm »

i jsut checked in on her and she is starving and dehydrated she is not long for this world

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:52:03 pm »

though we are attacked and i ordered her unit into battle she remains in bed making me think she is invalid.  bummer, i don't know how mods work, so i'd rather not mess with them, also do mods work on macs?
Mods work on macs. Modding isn't difficult at a basic level, especially since  I told you exactly what to edit and how; the game just references a bunch of text files to tell it how creatures should be put together, so you can change how it puts creatures together by simply altering those text files.

how to i give her a fiery reward? (i assume u mean magma)  i have a volcano fortress
You arrange, however you can, for her to be over magma, or for magma to be over her, and then arrange things such that the she and the magma are in the same place  :P

i jsut checked in on her and she is starving and dehydrated she is not long for this world
You probably don't have any water sources and may not have any non-prepared food (in previous versions at least the injured wouldn't be fed cooked meals), but just stopping anyone from feeding her and letting her starve is a suitable, if non-dwarfy, way of killing the now useless-drain-on-resources off.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »

i have a well but its 13 z levels below my main fortress, due to there being quite a valley where the river is and my being new and not knowing what or how to make a pump.  also i am by a goblin fortress so there are constant attacks keeping my dwarves busy on more important things, and i got plenty of meat and plants and booze but no one is feeding her, donno why, also even though she's been sleeping for a long time she is still drowsy, i think its brain damage

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:05:19 pm »

correction someone brought her a bucket of water since i jsut made some buckets

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 11:41:18 pm »

i have a well but its 13 z levels below my main fortress, due to there being quite a valley where the river is and my being new and not knowing what or how to make a pump.  also i am by a goblin fortress so there are constant attacks keeping my dwarves busy on more important things, and i got plenty of meat and plants and booze but no one is feeding her, donno why, also even though she's been sleeping for a long time she is still drowsy, i think its brain damage
If she's resting, which is probable if she's got motor nerve damage, it means that she's lying in a hospital bed attempting to heal. This is different from sleeping, and seems to make people heal somewhat quicker. It does, however, mean that she isn't feeding or watering herself, nor is she doing any other tasks, and won't as long as she can't stand. Unless you mod, that status may be permanent.

Also, in the future, please try not to post multiple times in a row. Edit your posts instead, with the modify post button at the top-right of your post or the button that looks like this: at the bottom-right of your post.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:01:26 am »

sleeping, not in a hospital zone but in a bedroom she had been carried to, in the same bed as another person with motor nerve damage, its wierd