Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Idea  (Read 997 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Project Idea
« on: January 05, 2011, 09:09:23 pm »

I have absolutely no idea how to do this. But I think it would be cool, and maybe it would also be possible.

Build a Rubik's Cube in Dwarf Fortress.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
Re: Project Idea
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:42 pm »

Cool, no. Possible, especially no.
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:29:34 pm »

Cool: Maybe. Possible: Maybe, if it doesn't move.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:00:34 pm »

It wouldn't function in the same way, but you could build a giant cube with little bridges on all the faces. Configure the colors of the bridges and underlying stone so some bridges have to be up for the right color, and some down. Complex linking of bridges would be required to make it relatively easy to get a single face right, but getting all the faces may require reworking how you solve an individual face. It would take some planning, but you can do it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:20 pm »

It wouldn't function in the same way, but you could build a giant cube with little bridges on all the faces. Configure the colors of the bridges and underlying stone so some bridges have to be up for the right color, and some down. Complex linking of bridges would be required to make it relatively easy to get a single face right, but getting all the faces may require reworking how you solve an individual face. It would take some planning, but you can do it.
Well, cubes aren't solved by faces, but "layers", and there are some set algorithms to do it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 06:40:14 am »

Since when were Rubik's Cubes cool?
"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:25:09 am »

Since forever?

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:29:01 am »

i could never solve them and really it never kept me up at night.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:50:48 am »

Cool: HELL YES.

Possible: Yes. With a lot of mechanisms.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:44 am »

I highly doubt that you can make a fully functional Rubik's Cube.
If I see someone do it (In unmodded Dwarf Fortress) I will acknowledge that person as a god.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:33:32 pm »

If I see someone do it (In unmodded Dwarf Fortress) I will acknowledge that person as a god.
Good to know. I'll get right on it once I'm done with chess.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »

I can see it being possible. Have all the faces on a single layer, with 6 hatches per square for the colour as otherwise the cube would need to be spread across multiple layers causing visualiation problems.#

First the tedious process of translating the motion of a Rubik's cube into boolean logic gates with a total of 12 input contols. Then comes the even more tedious process of producing this monster of a circuit diagram in dwarf fortress. THEN comes the even more even more tedious process of solving the thing at <1FPS.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »

I can see it being possible. Have all the faces on a single layer, with 6 hatches per square for the colour as otherwise the cube would need to be spread across multiple layers causing visualiation problems.#

First the tedious process of translating the motion of a Rubik's cube into boolean logic gates with a total of 12 input contols. Then comes the even more tedious process of producing this monster of a circuit diagram in dwarf fortress. THEN comes the even more even more tedious process of solving the thing at <1FPS.

1 FPS? I think you're being generous.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 04:54:26 pm »

Good to know. I'll get right on it once I'm done with chess.

I saw your thread on the chess thing, very impressive. If it works, let me know.

Also, I wanna see the chess/rubik's cube work in 3d, so that it would be easier to understand
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:52 pm »

I find it hard to believe that this will work.  But I would very much like to see it!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!