Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dented foot  (Read 3823 times)

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dented foot
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »

And also, don't motor nerves and sesory nerves eventually heal

In reality, yes. Not in DF.
You can store unlimited objects in a cat sized space, and you can live with no light, no heat and no air movement. But you can't heal nerve damage.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:57 pm »

It's a bug that Toady's gonna have to fix sometime in the future (perhaps when DF becomes beta or something).
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 12:10:29 am »

You should get rid of him.
His Dwarf?... or his dad?
Never pet a burning dog.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

There are definitely 2 kinds of DF players.

There's your "apply magma to wounded dwarf" school, which I respect.

And then there's the "give him a palace filled with all the fine things he loves" school.

I say go with 2, if only to be different.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:43 pm »

At least keep them around till they churn out an artifact.  They mood like any other dwarf and its the only time they'll walk again
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

I really should set them up to heal automatically (Once again, it's not cheating, but a workaround) - I simply can't bring myself to put any of my dorves out of their misery.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »

So many horrible people.  He got wounded defending the fortress!  He is a hero worthy of a purple heart!  The VA would be so pissed off at all of you.

You should build a small underground mansion around his bed!

Of course, since that much more often than not is not feasible, free food booze and board for the rest of his [emphasis]natural[/emphasis] life would do. Yer all acting like a bunch of 'cull the wounded from the herd' ELVES!  Are you going to start eating them next?

(except for you mod out nerve damage folks, while I do not do such things myself I do not condemn it)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:23:15 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:34 pm »

I've had trouble with modding nerve damage to heal. Never seems to work right for me.  :'(
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:59 pm »

Well yea, modding the materiel itself doesn't work, the tag that makes it behave like nerves seems to be hardcoded to cause the attached tissue to never heal.

I hear removing the damaged bodypart out of the save file's dwarf raw, loading the game, then immediately saving and reverting the change back fixes it.  And from with my experience with raw behavior it makes sense.  But as I said, I haven't tried it. 

Should work by removing all the data related to the bodypart when it is no longer a part of a dwarf, and then when you add a bodypart to an existing creature it creates the part in the origonal state. 

Or it might just completely heal all wounds by redoing all the body linkages and such.  One of the two.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:33:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:31 am »

So many horrible people.  He got wounded defending the fortress!  He is a hero worthy of a purple heart!  The VA would be so pissed off at all of you.

You V.A. is clearly different from my V.A.  The suggestions above mostly describe what the V.A. did to both of my grandfathers.....  One of whom did have a purple heart.

As for keeping this DF-related, I'm in the camp the suggests injuring your invalid dwarves to train up your doctors.  As for /how/ you do that, I'm not sure.  Perhaps by digging progressively deeper pits in your hospital and then using pressurized water to "flush" the subjects into a multi-Z-level drop?  Add a few more dents to his portfolio, if you will.

What's more useful?  A crippled militia dwarf that can't even defend itself, or a doctor that can heal the others with a bit more skill?  Cruel?  Sure.  But so goes the life of a dwarf.

Just an idea.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:50 am »

As for keeping this DF-related, I'm in the camp the suggests injuring your invalid dwarves to train up your doctors.  As for /how/ you do that, I'm not sure.  Perhaps by digging progressively deeper pits in your hospital and then using pressurized water to "flush" the subjects into a multi-Z-level drop?  Add a few more dents to his portfolio, if you will.

I have a better idea.  First of all, if I want to get rid of a wounded dwarf, I used to just wall off the dwarf and let him die of thirst.  Quick, effective, risk-free.  Now, my new hospital is 10 glorious 2x3 rooms each with a door, clear glass window, and a bed between a traction bench and operating table (each made of clear glass).  All I have to do now is lock a door.

However, I'm adding an addition to the hospital, a second open chamber where I can build beds and drop them via a lever linked to a support.  This area is also a hospital.  The idea is, at some point no new patients will be coming into the hospital.  All i need to do is deactivate the nice clean hospital and activate the drop chamber (I think I'll call it a hospice), then deconstruct the beds of the dwarves in question.  They will be promptly "recovered" and taken to the hospice, at which point a quick lever pull will send them on their way.

As for building a shrine for my wounded heroes,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  And actual heroes.  But unless one of them dodged off a cliff, my actual dwarf champions never take a hit.  Elite marksdwarves that end up invalids will be dropped with dignity and entombed in steel coffins beneath statues of goblin carnage.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 [2]