Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: strange mood dwarf using a kobold bone?  (Read 913 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
strange mood dwarf using a kobold bone?
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »

I thought they couldn't use the bones of sentient creatures unless it was a fell mood. He had a secretive mood.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: strange mood dwarf using a kobold bone?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:20:58 pm »

There are no restrictions on using the bones of sentient creatures - the only trick is actually getting said bones in the first place. Skeletons of sentient creatures cannot be butchered, but severed body parts seem to occasionally rot into usable stacks of bones.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:14:08 am »

There are no restrictions on using the bones of sentient creatures - the only trick is actually getting said bones in the first place. Skeletons of sentient creatures cannot be butchered, but severed body parts seem to occasionally rot into usable stacks of bones.

thus the huge murder towers that POWs are thrown from, shattering their bodies into the constituent body parts.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:49 am »

I am bothered. I've been keeping the corpses of that minotaur (which was a sucker to kill) and that giant (which fled my army for fifteen minutes like a p*ssy) to rot and it never happened...

I'd love to have used those bones...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:23 am »

They might still. Try reclaiming their skeletons. I have noticed goblin bone bolts in a quiver here in my fortress and someone used bones of Bax Setuukge, forgotten beast in his mood. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:50 am »

So far it seems to be a bit random which parts rot to bone, I got a stack of 100+ dead goblins outside, some of them have parts that rot into bone while other parts seem to stay forever.

Actaully come to think about it I got an earlier save, I could cross-check to find out which parts of mine turned into bone.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:26:49 am »

Okay, it seems to have little to do with the body parts. I looked through my piles of body parts and found the following.

And then

The left lower arm, right foot and right hand are all still there even when the bones show up. I would assume that the corpses themselves are the thing that rots. Time to check.