Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs not Breeding  (Read 1138 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogs not Breeding
« on: January 02, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »

So, I decided to give the newest update a try a few weeks back (after a long break from DF). This is my second fort since then. Everything was going well, until four kobold ambushes (two bowbold squads, one axebold squad, and one swordbold squad) right after a goblin siege. Having let my guard down from dispatching the goblins, the gates were wide open, haulers were collecting bodies, and the military were either drinking, or getting upgrades to their armor (iron -> steel).
'Ambush! Skulking vermin!' four times. (Not simultaneously, of course)
The only thing that were able to keep the kobolds away before the first military dwarf showed up were the hunting dogs that were assigned to many of the haulers and passerby (standard issue). No one was hurt, but lots of hunting dogs were killed, as well as the entrance hallway being filled with bodies and blood. (a goblin siege barely made it there, but a bunch of kobolds did... I am disappoint)

So, that's when I noticed there were no puppies or stray dogs to train. I recall how in the first year or so, the female dogs were having puppies like crazy. Now... nothing. Haven't seen a single stray dog or puppy around. Thinking back on it, not a single '____ has given birth to puppies' announcement has been given for awhile. All dogs are either assigned hunting dogs, or pet dogs. Is this something new implemented? Like, birth control or something?

Apologies for this being a little wordy. Just read the bolded parts.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs not Breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »

How many do yuo have? There's a cap... somewhere around 200 IIRC.
Never pet a burning dog.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:03 pm »

i thought the cap was closer to 50
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:37 pm »

I think the cap is a soft 50, with exceptions being made for pregnancies/births after the cap.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:45:25 pm »

Yes, there are 50... (2 war dogs, 48 hunting dogs, and there are some migrant pet dogs)

Is there any way to increase this limit?

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:35 pm »

As far as I know you can't increase it. You might ask the modding discussion to see if there is a way around it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:22:00 am »

no way around it aside from butchering.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:00 am »

And cats? There's a limit for cats too, right? Because if so, I'm rather confused at all the fuss over catexplosions.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:21 am »

The fuss with catsplosion is cause of the large amount of vermin corpse found everywhere thanks to them. Morever, multiple cats can claim a single owner, making them very prone to tantrum if suddenly bunches of them die.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

It's a soft cap of ~50 of each type of animal. Cats are included, so you'll never actually get more than ~70 cats even in the worst-case scenario. However, cats, as VERMINHUNTERs, are worse for your FPS than other creatures, since they actually path around hunting vermin instead of mostly sticking in the meeting areas, and cannot be gotten rid of as easily, since they adopt dwarves. If you're hurting for FPS, getting rid of animals can help, but you can't get just butcher cats, hence the infamy of catsplosions.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 01:39:08 am »

I swear that someone mentioned that named animals could ignore the cap, and as cats adopt dwarves instead of the other way around, they were the only animals that could bypass the cap without your direct intervention.

But I could be misremembering, or the guy might have been wrong.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,