Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this normal...?  (Read 594 times)

Atrushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this normal...?
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:59:48 pm »

Ok, so, I just recently started a new fortress, and had something odd happen. Apparently, a groundhog decided my woodworker was in need of a good bite. So it attacked her. While she was carrying a bronze battle ax. Of course, the groundhog is gonna die, I know that, you know that, but how it died was... odd. She starts off hacking it in the upper body, damaging some nonvital organs, and it passes out. She chops its paw, tearing the skin, then hacks it in the lower body, again damaging organs. Normal enough so far, right? She then proceeds to BITE IT on its left rear leg. She clamps down firmly, and the thing becomes conscious long enough for her to shake it around. While shaking it around, a part breaks free and flies off in an arc. My woodworker is left with the rear left leg of that poor groundhog in her mouth, which she drops, and proceeds to bed. Why, exactly, did my dorf decide to become feral for a moment?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal...?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:00 pm »

It's the new combat targeting system. She just had the opportunity to bite easily and took it. Biting is not very powerful, but the best thing to do when biting is to shake around, so that's what she did.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:34 pm »

hahaha I think she got infected with lycanthropy

being serious, I just updated the game (I was still with .16) and I just noticed that one of my axe warriors fighting a dragon hacked hacked hacked punched hacked etc... I guess the new patch makes them use their natural weapons more ?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:46 pm »

This happens pretty regularly now, since unarmed combat was altered some in some recent version, so that natural attacks aren't ignored as much. It's not uncommon to see dwarves punching, kicking and biting at enemies, especially when their weapons get stuck in the target.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."