Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean waves  (Read 1601 times)

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean waves
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:02:12 am »

Hello all.  I've been experimenting with the madness that is DF and have a question I haven't been able to find an answer yet.   

While building a seaside place, I built a floor off of the beach to square it off, and a wall around it. 
When the waves come in, they go under the constructed floor, impact the shore/ramp underneath and send waves up through the constructed floor as well across the surface of the shore (sandstone).

Do waves clean dwarves?  I doubt critters are going to get through a constructed floor, might put a grate there for fishing I think.  Keep it close to home and where the fortress guards will hang out if it works to clean them of blood and such.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean waves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

Do waves clean dwarves?
I've no experience with oceans, but I'd guess that yes, waves clean Dwarfs.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:23:49 am »

I believe waves are only a visual effect.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:35 am »

During adventure mode I've both trained swimming and have gotten pushed around by waves. I think it might have a physical effect.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:27:50 am »

Supposedly, they smash wagons. I haven't played one of my oceanside forts long enough to test, and the other one's traders are smart enough to not approach by the little stretch of sea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:55:04 am »

During adventure mode I've both trained swimming and have gotten pushed around by waves. I think it might have a physical effect.

they seem to push thing around too, making  dwarves unable to clean up because of "job item misplaced" cancellation

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

Waves will shove items around each time they break, leading to tons of "Job item lost or destroyed" messages. I'm not sure about their effect on dwarves, though it may be possible that they do clean them. Perhaps some testing involving seaside boardwalks flanked by wall grates/vertical bars to prevent pushing?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:44:39 pm »

After an evening of testing with waves coming up through the floor, flooding the hall, the water always goes away as long as it's level, if there's any ditch, it falls in and becomes 1/7 on the level below.

Merely being in waves doesn't do anything for cleaning apparently.  I had some wardogs and goblin-blood splattered warriors hanging around the new seaside dining room.  They were in no danger of going out to sea with a wall and floor.  But blood stays on them.  So for this version 40.18 no use there.   The waterfall machine works nice tho.  Perpeptual motion waterwheelx2 + pump + 2 pump stack.  Thing loses water due to spray below, actually have the underside opened to a trickle of water in from the ocean to keep it at 4/5 or better.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:16:01 pm »

I've no experience with oceans, but I'd guess that yes, waves clean Dwarfs.

No, they don't.

Supposedly, they smash wagons. I haven't played one of my oceanside forts long enough to test, and the other one's traders are smart enough to not approach by the little stretch of sea.

I've never seen a wave do this, even with embark wagons two feet from the sea.

For the most part this is true.
Waves will shove items around each time they break, leading to tons of "Job item lost or destroyed" messages. I'm not sure about their effect on dwarves, though it may be possible that they do clean them. Perhaps some testing involving seaside boardwalks flanked by wall grates/vertical bars to prevent pushing?

I've never seen a wave do this.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:01:33 pm »

I've never seen a wave do this.

I see it often enough.  A wave will come up and move things around, it's been awhile since last time though.  Items in the wagon may be safe, but I've seen bolts & animal carcases get washed about as well as some misc junk on reclaims.  They only move a few tiles at a time, but since the game maps to where something is...