Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Taking a fall- How is this possible?  (Read 728 times)

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Taking a fall- How is this possible?
« on: December 31, 2010, 03:41:32 am »

How can a multiple limbs take full force of the impact? logic dictates that if they all took impact, it would be partial, no?

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Taking a fall- How is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:49 am »

Rather than "Which side of a buttered dwarf lands where", I would assume that either it's a term used to describe the amount of force a dwarf took from a fall and the damage caused, or he had enough time to extend his limbs to try and brace for impact.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:56:16 am »

Well the alternative is having armour absorb some or all of the impact...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:14 am »

It's whether or not armor absorbed some of the impact on each region, not how much the region took of the total impact.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:45:46 pm »

This is also how the game makes falling from a greater height more lethal. In the OP's example, you have 5 "The Miner's _____ takes the full force of the impact, ______!" lines. The dwarf probably only fell 3-4 z-levels. I have seen 9 of those lines appear on a dwarf who fell 7-8 z-levels.

I have seen rigid armor, but not flexible armor, absorb the impact of a fall. It is listed as if the attack on the dwarf's body part was "deflected" by the armor. Remember to equip plate, greaves, and helms!

Dwarfs can die from skull or spine damage from falling 2 or more z-levels, but tend to not die of bleeding. I wonder if we could train legendary doctors by treating the 70% of migrants who survive a 8z drop.