Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions!  (Read 1707 times)

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two questions!
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:05:06 am »

Herro dorforumites.

First question: Ral Onulothil, Architect has fallen and can't get up. He is currently 'Rest' on the stairwell that leads to my magma forges, it appears his arm is severely broken but not enough to die of an infection. So he just sits there and accepts food/water, being useless.

I can't euthanize him in the typical way (magma), as hes on a stairwell. No one will move the sod to a damn hospital bed NOR will they fix his sorry ass up, I have legendary bone doctors and everything.

Suggestions?

Second Question: I decided to put cage traps up to catch douchebags trying to dash in from the cavern. I now have about seven plump helmet men, six trogs and a goblin who I caught a few years ago.

How do I make a proper 'thunderdome'? Anyone guide me on how to set one up? I've tried putting the cages all in a big room, but it seems like a huge hassle. It's irritating because I want the damn cages back!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:32:35 am »

Dig out a room preferably near your cage stockpile, make sure there's room for a small corridor above it.
Access to that room can be from above via stairs or a door from the side (from above is better). After digging out the room and the corridor channel away the floor at the end of the corridor. Build a hatch cover over the resulting open space. From (i) zones menu make a one tile zone on the hatch cover. Make it a (p)it. In the zones menu again set (P)it properties, assign whoever you want (preferably one at a time) to the pit. Place upright spikes or station your militia in the room below at your leisure. If you want add a raising draw bridge linked to a lever to crush the remains of the prisoners.
You can also channel away a deeper drop if you still have room below so the prisoners break some bones on the landing, or make it really deep and have them explode on impact.
Fill the room with water or magma... the possibilities are endless.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 12:35:18 am »

1. Cave-in? Or wall him in.
2. Dig out a square or circle area. Build the cages, on each side. Link both cages to a lever, pull the lever and watch the combatants fight. If you're going to have multiple enemies in the arena at once, channel some squares above the arena, build the cages right next to the pit and pit them.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:57:55 am »

Why not build the cages b -> j in the thunderdome, and link them to a lever? Seal the dome, pull the lever, and sell popcorn.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:46:10 am »

The problem with walling him in is he is currently flopped on an up/down stairwell that goes up 4 z levels and down about 20. =/ I guess I could floor the stair above him but dorfs would be able to get at him from below then. It's really just irritating me because I'd like him to either man up or die, heh. The stairwell is built 4 tiles wide north/south facing and 30 z-levels long roughly. He's in one of the middle stairs.

Curious if this is a bug anyway, he shoulda been moved shouldn't he? Maybe they assume stairwells are good beds to 'rest' on?

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:06:51 am »

The problem with walling him in is he is currently flopped on an up/down stairwell that goes up 4 z levels and down about 20. =/ I guess I could floor the stair above him but dorfs would be able to get at him from below then. It's really just irritating me because I'd like him to either man up or die, heh. The stairwell is built 4 tiles wide north/south facing and 30 z-levels long roughly. He's in one of the middle stairs.

Curious if this is a bug anyway, he shoulda been moved shouldn't he? Maybe they assume stairwells are good beds to 'rest' on?

I doubt that's the problem, I've had a guy do this in the middle of my dining room.
This is to make me recognizable.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:13:07 am »

The problem is that he can walk on his own power (so dwarves won't retrieve him), but he is probably in "extreme pain" and refuses to move.  The alternative solution is to remove the stairs so that he falls a few more levels and breaks his leg, then to rebuild the stairs so he can be taken to the hospital (or just build another flight, if there aren't any rooms between the top and bottom).

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:30:18 am »

If Urist won't go to the hospital, bring the hospital to Urist.

Floor the two spaces beside him in. Place a bed on the one directly next to him and a traction bench on the other. Designate the entire section of stairwell that he's on as a Hospital. Then build a wall on both of the stairway directly beneath him.

If he doesn't simply roll into the bed and remains on the same square, remove the topmost wall below him.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:54:24 am »

The problem is that he can walk on his own power (so dwarves won't retrieve him), but he is probably in "extreme pain" and refuses to move.  The alternative solution is to remove the stairs so that he falls a few more levels and breaks his leg, then to rebuild the stairs so he can be taken to the hospital (or just build another flight, if there aren't any rooms between the top and bottom).

[NOPAIN] no gain!

Actually, try giving dwarves [NOPAIN]. Or releasing a caged wild animal next to him so he'll get hurt more.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!