Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spider Retrieval  (Read 1381 times)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spider Retrieval
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:56 pm »

I've seen critters (mostly carp) splatted on the bottom of high waterfalls as well, but with no items around them. I personally think it's because they can't "swim" down the waterfall and so just fall off of it, down the cliff, and since water currently has no buoyancy, splatter against the riverbed.
This happened to me a lot when I used to embark next to natural waterfalls. At the bottom, there would be a pile of aligator, stingray, carp corpses.
What level Armor User is the Hammerdwarf now?

Anyway, one other method is to build a Loom nearby and have a dwarf try to collect the spiderwebs in the corner of the hospital room. Hopefully, the spider will charge the craftdwarf instead and blunder into a cage trap.

You might want to construct a hallway in front first though along with another cage trap. Otherwise, there's a pretty good chance that the weaver will just waltz in and either get killed by the spider or punch it to death.

He was legendary before hospitalization. I can't build anything near the rooms because of interrupted by giant cave spider.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 07:18:39 pm »

Bring a cave-in that will crush down through the floor and put that dwarf out of his misery.
Or better yet bring down natural walls that will encompass the spider in single tile area, then put floodgate in front of those walls and carve fortification in one side and see if it will shoot webs through it. Of course you may need to build some walls on the level below the hospital before launching cave-in.
For utter dwarfiness bonus design a cave-in that will separate spider and the cripple (spider can survive bigger drop), and then use the latter as a target for web spitting, use floodgates so dwarves could bring him food without cansellation. (he is quite badass after all)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:10 am »

Meh.
What I ended up doing is channeling from above to create a ramp surrounded by cage traps, then dropped puppies in until the spider chased a puppy up the ramp into cages.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 12:15:31 am »

Ah, puppy bait, always a reliable option.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 03:17:25 am »

I've seen critters (mostly carp) splatted on the bottom of high waterfalls as well, but with no items around them. I personally think it's because they can't "swim" down the waterfall and so just fall off of it, down the cliff, and since water currently has no buoyancy, splatter against the riverbed.

Huh. Well,so much for that misconception of how the animals in my river died, thanks for clearing it up.
Pages: 1 [2]