Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roads and Caravans  (Read 2298 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roads and Caravans
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:28:02 am »

I happened to create a fort quite close to the edge where caravans are spawning.  If I build a road out to the edge, can I line it with a wall on both sides and have a protected route for caravans from here on out?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roads and Caravans
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:20 am »

You can't build right at the edge of the map, so it's not foolproof, but it could help. The road isn't really needed except to look nice though, the space could be better used to set traps for anything that might try to attack the caravan on its way to you.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 03:49:46 am »

I believe you can build bridges closer to the edge of the map than walls... raise them and they'll act exactly the same, though. And you should probably build a few traps as well (and a restrained dog) to keep nasties from coming in the same way as the traders.

And twilightdusk: Roads do serve a purpose; they keep trees from growing and blocking the caravans' way.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:53:38 am »

I happened to create a fort quite close to the edge where caravans are spawning.  If I build a road out to the edge, can I line it with a wall on both sides and have a protected route for caravans from here on out?

Caravan spawning sites are determined by Depot access so it will work so long as the Depot is also within the walls and not otherwise accessible from anywhere on the map. If they can still reach the Depot from any other spot, they'll show up there instead of your walls.

The easiest thing to do is just to build drawbridges between the wall and the edge of the map. When raised, they'll work as another section of wall. You could also build the last section connecting the side of the map across a portion of the map like a water feature or canyon, but that risks the caravan getting ambushed by ranged attackers while entering the map.

Quote from: twilightduck
The road isn't really needed except to look nice though, the space could be better used to set traps for anything that might try to attack the caravan on its way to you.

Roads are necessary if you want a Monarch to show up later so it's best to build alternating sections of traps and high value roads. I usually have the first five squares of the highway be road and then have a section of cage/weapon traps to prevent ambush parties from entering via the road and waylaying caravans/immigrants.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:33:57 pm »

And twilightdusk: Roads do serve a purpose; they keep trees from growing and blocking the caravans' way.

Any building will keep trees from growing, traps included.

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »

You need 5 000 units of road (among other things) in order to qualify for a capitol. On a 4x4 embark, that comes to about five 3-wide roads running the width of the map, and five 3-wide roads running the length.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:07:31 pm by AngleWyrm »

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »

You need 5 000 units of road (among other things) in order to qualify for a capitol. On a 4x4 embark, that comes to about five 3-wide roads running the width of the map, and five 3-wide roads running the length.

Er, 5000 value of road?

Building gold roads certainly doesn't take a lot of effort or that many units.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »

Er, 5000 value of road?

Building gold roads certainly doesn't take a lot of effort or that many units.

Bridges also contribute to road value as well, so roads still aren't technically necessary for the king.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »

I don't think he meant value, I think he meant tiles. 5000 value would be accomplished far too easily; the most worthless stone would only require 1667 tiles to accomplish.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:03:55 pm »

The wiki says 5000☼ wealth in Roads.
As well as 15000☼ wealth in architecture and 5000 offerings to dwarf caravans.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Monarch

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:14:07 am »

I have gold roads with material worth 5400☼, about 600000☼ in architecture, and I offered 20000☼ to the capital. I want a queen!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:39:26 am »

You need to get the baron first and then have him/her promoted to count and duke.
During this time there will be a new option in the noble screen named 'becoming the capital'. That screen shows what requirements are needed for the king/queen to arrive. The information on the wiki appears to be inaccurate on my last fort i needed 7500 dorfbucks in roads and offerings (maybe it depends on embark size?). Once you fulfill all the requirements the king should come in a few seasons.
Oh yeah it's value in roads not tiles so it's very easy to meet that.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:51 pm »

I have a duke, but no "become the capital" option. Never seen that before either.

Edit: But wait, the data/init/d_init.txt says 80 dwarves, but in the wiki you need 140 dwarves for a king. I have 97 dwarves, perhaps the wiki is correct...
Is the value of 140 hardcoded or something? Couldn't find it...

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 04:10:39 pm »

The wiki says 5000☼ wealth in Roads. As well as 15000☼ wealth in architecture and 5000 offerings to dwarf caravans.
and
The information on the wiki appears to be inaccurate on my last fort i needed 7500 dorfbucks in roads and offerings (maybe it depends on embark size?).

When I check in v31.18 in the game, it says I need 7500 offerings, not 5000. Maybe the wiki is old news.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:13:19 pm by AngleWyrm »