Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy dam building  (Read 1623 times)

Urist McLongbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Similar games database
Easy dam building
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »

So, I've read about some methods of damming a river on DF wiki, but all of 3 them seem a little bit to complicated:

1. Using magma is cool, but if you don't have a volcano on you map - finding magma and pumping it to the surface takes some time and effort.
2. Waiting a river to freeze is cool too, but potentially dangerous (river thawing unexpectedly, killing dwarves/flooding stuff/etc.) and if you're playing in a warm biome - it just won't ever freeze.
3. Drying river into an underground water source probably kills FPS. Drying it into channel probably does the same. Unless you have an aquifier.

I've tried to find an alternative, simple and universal method to dam a river, so here it is:

1. The initial setup: basically, that's a small room with some screw pumps and a hole in the floor some tiles upstream. Pumps pump from the north to the south. The river is 4 tiles wide, so there are 4 screw pumps and 4-tiles wide hole in the floor.

2. This image shows this setup working:

3. That's what happens one level below: water is moved back upstream from above.

4. That's one level above: there are two windmills powering screw pumps through the holes in the ceiling.

Well, that's it, pretty much.
Now you can build a wall to dam the river permanently. Or build some cages in a dried river bed and flood it to capture some live carps. Or something else. You'll figure on your own, I guess. 8)
Similar games database: http://game-graph.appengine.com/

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Easy dam building
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »

good job, that look very easy... and exploity
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »

You might want to place gear assemblies under the windmills to shut off the damming sequence if necessary.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »

I thought this was the standard method? If I'd known this wasn't widely known, I'd have shared it quite some time ago.

Urist McLongbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Similar games database
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:54:54 pm »

You might want to place gear assemblies under the windmills to shut off the damming sequence if necessary.

Yeah. Well, that was just a proof of concept; started a new fort to try this idea - the design of that thing can be improved.

Urist McLongbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Similar games database
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 12:56:14 pm »

I thought this was the standard method? If I'd known this wasn't widely known, I'd have shared it quite some time ago.

Dunno. Nothing is written in the wiki about it, so I figured it's not the standart method.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »

Well, I used this method a long time ago, and I'm reasonably sure I didn't just invent it myself. I must have read about it somewhere. Not that that is particularly important...

EDIT: thinking back, I'm pretty sure I saw this method used in a community fortress to drain an ocean, and decided to apply it to a river. It never occured to me that others hadn't thought to do the same.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:05:39 pm by Dude_Jebawe »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:04:39 pm »

It relies on the less widely known fact that pumps drain water faster then water can naturally flow itself, regardless of pressure present. Not everyone used to common sense can realize that easily.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist McLongbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Similar games database
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

It relies on the less widely known fact that pumps drain water faster then water can naturally flow itself, regardless of pressure present. Not everyone used to common sense can realize that easily.

It rather relies on a fact that water that is pumped one level above gets back into the river before all the water upstream (uuh, not sure if it made any sense).
How fast a pump drains water is not important, because all the water downstream will eventually disappear on the side of the map.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

The only flaw in this design is that wind power isn't always reliable, windmills don't produce power on some maps due to not having enough wind.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:49:42 pm »

Hand power works fine, for a short while. If you want a more permanent solution, well, the river is right there.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 05:58:02 pm »

Not only the water is right there, you could build a lot of windmills, even with embark cheap materials

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

This is great. If I ever decide to dam a river, I will do it this way.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:56:17 pm »

If you can't have windmills, make fed waterwheels. Not a big problem.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them