Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brooks, and a caravan drowning trap.  (Read 1577 times)

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
Brooks, and a caravan drowning trap.
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:58 pm »

I'm relatively new to dwarf fortress, but I understand a fair bit of it. The only this i'm not really familiar with is water. I've had 3 forts, one was the ultimate newb guide or whatever, the second I quit due to lack of goblin civ and bordom. This third one I'm at peace with gobbers so I'm waiting for them to bring trade so I can slaughter  them :)
But anyhow on the the question. I'm in a 'hot' embark? Since i've been here it hasn't rainied at all which means I can't refil murky pools. This sin't a problem I have a stable farm. Its just I want to make a drowning trap. To kill hippies.

I have a brook, is this a renewable source of water? and how do I go about make a drowning trap for a caravan? The closest thing I could find was surrounded it with drawbridges and then when one is pulled another lever releasing water drowning the merchents and leaving goods intact. But there were no instructions on how to do this? Any help you can give is appreciated. :D
P.S. aren't elephants renowned for being deadly? My novice hunters slaughter them with wooden bolts? Not that i'm complaining. XD

tl;dr     How do I make a caravan drowning trap thats reusable?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:36:31 pm by SurfinShroom »
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Brooks, and a caravan drowning trap.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:35 pm »

Brooks have infinte water yes.
Elephants, you're probably thinking of Boatmurdered, was several versions ago, elephants got nerfed, so have carp.

I don't know if you can trade with goblins, supposedly if you are at peace with them somehow they may arrive during winter, but that may be from a different version etc w/e. But their attacks should be enforced.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:41:01 pm by Acperience »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:40:30 pm »

Wall in your trade depot and put floodgates on it, when the caravans come, lock them in and use a pump to pump in water and drown them, then use another floodgate/pump to draw the water out. Of course, you could build a drowning trap next to a long bridge/entryway that also drowns invaders but this is just for traders.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:45:54 pm »

Brooks have infinte water yes.
Elephants, you're probably thinking of Boatmurdered, was several versions ago, elephants got nerfed, so have carp.
I don't know if you can trade with goblins, supposedly if you are at peace with them somehow they may arrive during winter, but that may be from a different version etc w/e. But their attacks should be enforced.
Ah that makes sense then :L

Wall in your trade depot and put floodgates on it, when the caravans come, lock them in and use a pump to pump in water and drown them, then use another floodgate/pump to draw the water out. Of course, you could build a drowning trap next to a long bridge/entryway that also drowns invaders but this is just for traders.

So surround it with floodgates, link them all up soo how can I get the brook to make a pool of pumpable water near to the trade depot? Do I channel it? :S If I dig a path where the water is (so one z level down) it'll be constant since the brook is infinite right?

Time for me to do some research on pumps Never used one yet :L
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:48:14 pm »

You only need 3 or 4 floodgates, the rest can be walls. Dig a channel over to the trade depot, leave 3 tiles of room. Build a pump that pumps from the channel to the depot, box in the output. Build a pump which draws from that output and pumps into the depot. Boom, instant drowning trap.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

Brooks are nice since they have a "surface" tile, meaning you can walk on them without falling in, and channeling the surface removes that.

Channel a tile next to the brook and water will rush in to fill it. If the depot is underground you don't need to pump in into the depot, just let gravity do the work. You only need pumps to get the water out.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »

Its about ground :)
building components for a few pumps atm. I'll let you know how it goes :S
Might as well ask while I'm here. Caverns have 3 layers yes? I only see 2? Below the second one is the magma see? Does that mean its around there somewhere just not where I dug through to the magma sea?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »

Cavern layers can be edited in world gen, by default you should have 3.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:52:55 pm »

I didn't do any editing? :S

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »

Maybe it's somewhere you haven't dug yet (cavern layers can be very small. I have one that sits on the edge of the map in an 80 x 25 area), maybe it's so entwined with another cavern that you think it's one complicated one. White and yellow plus others is cavern 2. Others plus dark blue and dark red is cavern 3.

If you're using a seed with two cavern layers and don't know it, the lower layer should have trees of all types (according to the wiki).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:47 pm »

I'll just dig explorotory shafts around the z layer above the magma sea and below the watery second caver. :D