Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No human wagon access to map  (Read 836 times)

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No human wagon access to map
« on: December 13, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

For the second time now, I seem to be on a map that human wagons cannot access. The mounted human traders come in, but their wagons dont.

I have 5-wide paths that have been cleared of trees, and where the ground has been smoothed. On this path I built a 3-wide road, out of limestone and rock salt blocks. So far the west and north edges of my 3x3 map are connected with roads, with just the cleared paths to the other two edges. The area under the depot has also been smoothed, and the depot was made out of steel bars. The depot is inside a stockade wall, but is accessible thru 3 doors. The space under the doors was also smoothed, but turned out to be just sand.

But when I press shift-D to check for wagon accessibility, the entire map is in red, except for the trade depot itself.

This setup has worked fine on many other maps. But my last map was in a very high mountain, and no matter what I did, the depot remained unaccessible. Wagons couldnt even get onto the edge of that map. And this time I am on a dead-flat tropical forest map, with the same problem, the depot is still marked as unaccessible, in spite of the cleared areas and roads.

I did a search to see if anyone else reported such a problem, but didnt find anything. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if some maps just dont allow wagons on them.

ho watches those that watch us???

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: No human wagon access to map
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

Try removing the doors.  There have been reports of them blocking wagons.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

Thank you, that did the job.

Hmmm, now how do I protect the depot from hostiles. Have to try drawbridges I guess.

ho watches those that watch us???

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

As for your old maps, Im having the same issue with a 3 tier split. Traders show up on the middle tier, with a 3 wide access tunnel down to the lowest tier. The merchants use the tunnel but always leave the wagons behind. However, putting a depot on the same level the traders arrive on corrects the issue. Something about the wagon check is glitching when there is a level difference in the arrival point and the depot.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

It's sad that doors block wagons, wish they didn't.  I had the same problem back a while in an old map.

Dvalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 05:47:00 am »

Could also try a portcullis, with lever-operated bars serving as a gate?

Also, a 3-wide tunnel won't do it -- needs to be 5-wide, as any object will project a 1-square-wide box around it preventing wagon movement.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 06:34:00 am »

I'm pretty sure 3-wide is all you need: the CENTER of the wagon can move on any of the green squares indicated by the Depot Access display.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure 3-wide is all you need: the CENTER of the wagon can move on any of the green squares indicated by the Depot Access display.</STRONG>

This is indeed correct.  The logic is that if a tile is impassible by a wagon, then it and ever square around it can never be occupied by the center of the wagon (the only tile the game cares about).

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

This is indeed correct.  The logic is that if a tile is impassible by a wagon, then it and ever square around it can never be occupied by the center of the wagon (the only tile the game cares about).</STRONG>

Exactly; it took me a while to figure out why the map of passable depot tiles had 1-wide accessible areas, until I realized this.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.