Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gun Shopping  (Read 3500 times)

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Shopping
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:36 pm »

Deer and largish game?
Chalk up another vote for a cheap surplus rifle that you can buy cheap surplus rounds for. Best candidate really is a Mosin, I nearly got into deer hunting and did my homework. A tin of 400 surplus rounds can be had for around 100$ which pretty much as cheap as you'll ever find ammo in that class of firepower. Make sure the crowning on the barrel is still in good shape (Meatshield infantry doesn't care about keeping their gun in shape, the way the included cleaning rod was usually used damaged many a Mosin barrel's crowning to hell).

Rabbits and small game?
FUCK .22
I think it was the Obama scare that caused a bunch of right wing nutters to stockpile ammo, but whatever happened the price of all ammunition skyrocketed if you didn't notice. .22 is about twice as expensive as it used to be, and that's when it's on sale.

Look into the laws regarding airguns for hunting small game. Much cheaper alternative in the long run, or at least until ammo prices drop (which they probably never will).

If you do get a .22, I like and highly recommend Rugers. You couldn't miss with one if you tried. A nice one can be had for as low as 300$ if I recall, and I think you could get one with a bull or fluted barrel for not much more. Wasn't mine, so I didn't have to clean it  :)  but I'm told they're a little complicated to disassemble and reassemble.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2010, 11:22:33 pm »

If I have learned anything here, is that you should get a crossbow instead, so that you can run up to the deer and bludgeon it to death with it.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 11:55:52 pm »

If I have learned anything here, is that you should get a crossbow instead, so that you can run up to the deer and bludgeon it to death with it.

Can one not do that with a gun?
[/post]

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 12:58:08 am »

Can one not do that with a gun?

A gun wouldn't use the Hammerdwarf skill tho.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 01:02:11 am »

Deer and largish game?
Chalk up another vote for a cheap surplus rifle that you can buy cheap surplus rounds for. Best candidate really is a Mosin, I nearly got into deer hunting and did my homework. A tin of 400 surplus rounds can be had for around 100$ which pretty much as cheap as you'll ever find ammo in that class of firepower. Make sure the crowning on the barrel is still in good shape (Meatshield infantry doesn't care about keeping their gun in shape, the way the included cleaning rod was usually used damaged many a Mosin barrel's crowning to hell).

Rabbits and small game?
FUCK .22
I think it was the Obama scare that caused a bunch of right wing nutters to stockpile ammo, but whatever happened the price of all ammunition skyrocketed if you didn't notice. .22 is about twice as expensive as it used to be, and that's when it's on sale.

Look into the laws regarding airguns for hunting small game. Much cheaper alternative in the long run, or at least until ammo prices drop (which they probably never will).

If you do get a .22, I like and highly recommend Rugers. You couldn't miss with one if you tried. A nice one can be had for as low as 300$ if I recall, and I think you could get one with a bull or fluted barrel for not much more. Wasn't mine, so I didn't have to clean it  :)  but I'm told they're a little complicated to disassemble and reassemble.
.22 may have gone up, but it's hardly expensive.  500 rounds for under $20 doesn't really break the bank.

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 01:53:30 am »

.22 may have gone up, but it's hardly expensive.  500 rounds for under $20 doesn't really break the bank.
I had JUST got a bundle of bricks for 8$ each. Half decent Federal hollow points plus a dozen other bullet points on the box that . Shoot from my buddy's Ruger like a dream, like little heat seeking smart bullets they are. Suddenly, it's 20$ a box and now I can't use up my old .22 rounds because I'll never see them that cheap again. It's a psychological matter of principal WTF!? shock factor kind of 'fuck this'.

I wish I'd bought more, but I refuse to do so now because I'd just had them so cheap. Frustrates me so much, more so than any of the other price increases on other calibers because it's FREAKING .22 RIMFIRE. IT SHOULD NOT BE 20$ A BRICK!!! AAUGH!

Ironically I opted to shell out a couple Benjamins on a pellet rifle, however when you factor in the cost of plinking and target practice (20$ a brick is bank breaking if you like to plink) it will pay off unless I get bored of it too soon.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 02:06:16 am »

I had JUST got a bundle of bricks for 8$ each. Half decent Federal hollow points plus a dozen other bullet points on the box that . Shoot from my buddy's Ruger like a dream, like little heat seeking smart bullets they are. Suddenly, it's 20$ a box and now I can't use up my old .22 rounds because I'll never see them that cheap again. It's a psychological matter of principal WTF!? shock factor kind of 'fuck this'.

I wish I'd bought more, but I refuse to do so now because I'd just had them so cheap. Frustrates me so much, more so than any of the other price increases on other calibers because it's FREAKING .22 RIMFIRE. IT SHOULD NOT BE 20$ A BRICK!!! AAUGH!

Ironically I opted to shell out a couple Benjamins on a pellet rifle, however when you factor in the cost of plinking and target practice (20$ a brick is bank breaking if you like to plink) it will pay off unless I get bored of it too soon.
Try shooting .45ACP :(

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

Try shooting .45ACP :(
i have hundred of those rounds try find some .357 mags.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »

Look for .41s. That's a rare bullet to find.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

Look for .41s. That's a rare bullet to find.
Ouch, expensive too.  Luckily, I live 5 minutes from cabelas so I can find pretty much anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]