Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: River Diversion  (Read 1545 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: River Diversion
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:47 am »

It was the roof thing, I didn't realize that windmills required "Outside" to work, guess I sorta assumed that "Above Ground" was good enough.  Either way, it appears that a windmill can have a construction over it, since I just put a gear assembly above my windmill.  If a windmill can have another windmill above it... hmm...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:11 am »

Windmills will claim hanging when constructed correctly, if I am not mistaken. This should not be connected to their lack of power. From what I understand, some maps simply do not have any wind with which to power windmills.

As an alternative, perhaps you could construct a waterwheel assembly just upstream from your pumps, connected via a horizontal axle that runs parallel to the river?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:17 am »

It was the ceilings.  I'm trying to do a windmill stack, and it's proving a little bit impossible.

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 04:40:20 am »

I'm a little less dwarfy than some others because I'm still learning, but my suggestion would be, rather than doing something as time-and-labour-consuming as a magma pump stack, just dig a 3-wide downward ramp system that leads into a large empty space you're not using (like, say, the second cavern layer. I never see anyone build anything in the second cavern layer), floodgate it and connect it to the river. That might lower the level of the river downstream of the ramp system enough to allow your pumping efforts to work better.

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

Um, you can use pumps without them actually pumping anything. I don't know if it produces useful attribute gains anymore though.
Pages: 1 [2]