Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do with gems?  (Read 1641 times)

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with gems?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 01:03:35 am »

I save all the gems for strange moods, a decent stockplie for rough and cut gems, but i usually don't cut gems until i have a legendary gem cutter and setter. To do this i start a glassworks and have them cut and encrust certain furniture( mostly lower value/craftworks until they acquire the strange mood or just level up. Than I have them do mostly work on mastercraft items and armor or beds or whatever i can find thats badass.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 01:06:04 am »

When they're being cut, gems have a chance of becoming a craft instead of a cut gem object. I've gotten rings, bracelets, crowns, etc, from good gem cutters. If you get a jewelry mood (gem cutting/setting) you can also get furniture or other fun stuff from gems. It's worthwhile to mine them out.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 03:03:47 am »

In my mod you can make blocks out of gems. I would make gem furniture reactions, but I don't think I'll do that until you can choose objects to use in work orders so I don't have to make a reaction for every type of furniture for every type of gem.
Do you mod require world regen to work? If no, were can I download it? Because this is practically what I was looking for. Gem windows can't be used for floors, and I don't sure how they would look in visualizers.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 04:22:29 am »

My mod's linked to in my sig, but that's only a tiny part of it.
くコ:彡

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:23 am »

When you are building above ground forts, cutters, and setters are a necessity, for nobles rooms, besides moods. Later in the forts life, creating large gems, for the temples stockpiles, are just a gaudy bonus, muwaaahs
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 04:41:23 am »

It would be cool to be able to encrust coins. Needless and decadent, but cool.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:56 pm »

I like to make a huge gem stockpile and then build a throne in the middle of it.

I like the cut of your jib.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »

I build enormous stockpiles of them. I don't care myself, but customers have certain expectations from a dwarven fortress and they get uncomfortable if they don't see them.
This is to make me recognizable.
Pages: 1 [2]