Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten beast products?  (Read 2160 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Forgotten beast products?
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:45:22 am »

Hello, I'm gathering data for my mod and I need your help. Please post screenies of butchered FBs/demons and/or products made from these creatures whenever you can. Thank you for your help and happy holiday.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beast products?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:32 am »

Forgotten Beast products are always called "Forgotten Beast (something)" like "forgotten beast bone" or "forgotten beast roast."  When I get back on I could go see if I could find some forgotten beast objects, but I'm wondering why you need screenshots of that.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:08 am »

Forgotten Beast products are always called "Forgotten Beast (something)" like "forgotten beast bone" or "forgotten beast roast."  When I get back on I could go see if I could find some forgotten beast objects, but I'm wondering why you need screenshots of that.
You can type them out but it's probably faster and more authentic to put up screenies :)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 05:24:50 am »

Heh, I do my best to avoid most FB products.  They dont get a nice value multiplier like say, a hydra.  But their bones, skin, meat and fat weigh so damn much they clutter workshops alone.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:16:41 am »

I can duplicate some raws if you like...

=)
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:12 am »

I can duplicate some raws if you like...

=)
It's probably better if you teach me how  :o

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:46 am »

have no idea how you gonna use it...

Also i have a lot of forgotten beast tallow and some forgotten beast soap.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:32:42 am »

Heh, I do my best to avoid most FB products.  They dont get a nice value multiplier like say, a hydra.  But their bones, skin, meat and fat weigh so damn much they clutter workshops alone.
Build another, what's the problem? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »

The problem is really in the fat.  Unlike meat or any other kind of animal byproduct, fat must be processed a single piece at a time, it can't be dealt with in stacks.  A forgotten beast that leaves you with a stack of 300 forgotten beast fat is going to tie up your kitchens for a long, long time, even if you have half a dozen kitchens working non-stop.  And after being processed it makes hundreds of stacks of 1 tallow each, which takes up a huge amount of stockpile space.  I've gotten in the habit of automatically dumping any fat from butchering once I've made a bit of soap.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:23 pm »

The problem is really in the fat.  Unlike meat or any other kind of animal byproduct, fat must be processed a single piece at a time, it can't be dealt with in stacks.  A forgotten beast that leaves you with a stack of 300 forgotten beast fat is going to tie up your kitchens for a long, long time, even if you have half a dozen kitchens working non-stop.  And after being processed it makes hundreds of stacks of 1 tallow each, which takes up a huge amount of stockpile space.  I've gotten in the habit of automatically dumping any fat from butchering once I've made a bit of soap.

I've found that an easy solution to this is to edit your stockpiles to not hold fat or tallow (they're both under 'Fat' in the stockpile options screen, which is convenient.) since keeping the fat in the kitchens cuts down on time wasted and I have yet to see tallow rot, so there's no need to keep it in stockpiles.

CarbonNitride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »

But doesn't that clutter up your kitchens?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:34:49 am »

If you have fat-exclusive kitchens for haulers to work with no. And I've dealt with the fat issue in my mod so please continue posting screenshots. I'm messing around with hellfort save and the data scavenged there is also pretty interesting.