Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark: WAR vs. the red -----  (Read 2585 times)

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark: WAR vs. the red -----
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:02:09 pm »

I was just wondering, what's the practical difference between those red "-----" and WAR when embarking on a site? I know the red "----" means minor conflict, but:

I've been trying to generate a world where all races are at war with the dwarves (fiddling with CAN_SPEAK and [CAN_LEARN], [BABYSNATCHER] etc.) but at best I'm at war with one race and have red "-----" with the others.

Will red "-----" races eventually siege my fortress like I want them to, or will they simply ambush once in a while? If so - will the ambushes eventually escalate into sieges? I know this is the case with goblins, who are always "----", but what with the elves, for instance? Does the red "-----" mean anything if the elves or humans got it?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark: WAR vs. the red -----
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »

I'm not sure if this still applies but:

WAR probably means the same or near-same thing.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:22:05 pm »

I think WAR means that you're actively in conflict while ---- just means you're hostile to each other.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »

Thanks for the answers! Since goblins are always "-----" and always siege eventually, I guess humans and elves will do the same thing. Can anyone confirm this, though?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:05:04 pm »

WAR means that if your civilisation comes to peace over the years that you run your fortress, if they are not normaly at ------------ then they start to like you again, and trade with you.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:04:39 pm »

Also, when you embark, check that the races in that specific area are at war with the dwarves! I managed to gen a world where the dwarves are at war with the elves in the north of the continent, but not the south. Naturally I embarked just a little bit too far south...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »

It might look like WAR is worse then ------------, but in truth the opposit is true, as wars start and end, while natural hate is forever.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »

Again, thanks for the answers. I made dwarves babysnatchers and removed that very same tag from the goblins, so no all races dislike dwarves. Siege trigger is set to 1 for all races, so I hope there will be some action soon.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:58:39 am »

Question- if there is a P next to the Goblin civ's name, does that mean I'm at Peace with them?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:03:04 am »

I'm pretty sure P means they have notable posistions in their kingdom.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 02:43:10 am »

Except all civs have that icon. Including kobolds.
くコ:彡

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 05:53:36 am »

Question- if there is a P next to the Goblin civ's name, does that mean I'm at Peace with them?
It means that the currently selected civ is at peace with them, I think. This does not stop them from slaughtering your fortress though.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:54 am »

It means that the currently selected civ is at peace with them, I think. This does not stop them from slaughtering your fortress though.

Think of it as a goblin compliment. "You have a nice fortress there, I just want to slaughter it and see how good it really is!"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 08:51:21 am »

In propper, upper clase goblin/dwarven etiquette, one greets their neighbor with a whip to the face. The correct responce is to make them eat magma. This is opposed to elven/dwarven etiquette, where a show of good will and prospects of trade are met with making them eat magma.