Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil Embarking  (Read 1003 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Embarking
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:52:35 pm »

Okay, so once i embarked on a terrifying swamp, just to try out something more challenging than my past forts. I gave my woodcutter a couple of axeman skill points, but he was killed anyway by a modded creature from Deons Genesis (who i think may have been unkillable from bugs). Now when the next version comes out Im going to try my hand at an evil biome again.

My question is about what kind of things should i prepare for. How much of my embark points should be spent in weapons/armor/military skills? I felt that giving my only woodcutter military skills was enough, but put my entire lumber income in danger. What would you suggest i do to ensure survival within the first year or two of an evil embark?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Embarking
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:31 pm »

Maybe put some points for some cheap armor/helm and definitely 2-3 miners. Dont rely on woodcutter. Their skill is useless when enlisted.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »

1) Are you still using the Genesis mod
2) What kind of evil embark? Biomes, temperature, terrain (volcanoes, rivers, cliffs/plains)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 12:11:38 am »

I know that woodcutter skill doesnt do anything. I was mostly wondering what worked best; be it a well armored axemen, a couple of marksdwarves or whatever. I just want to know what you guys think is efficient for the starting seven.

As for specifics, i don't have any idea of what kind of embark, only that it will be evil and most likely be fairly wooded. And yes, i still use that mod.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:15:55 am »

Marksdwarves are bullshit now, I recommend a sworddwarf. As for armor, try getting some leather armor and cap at the very least. You could do some DIY steel if you wanted, and the skeletons/zombies stayed away long enough.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

try designating 3 or 4 guys to only be soldiers and give them trapping as their only non cb skill.  only bring it up to novice to preserve points.  it should start each one of them off with a free set of leather armour IIRC
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:36 am »

You got it wrong, if ambushing is their highest skill they get a free set of leather armor, a free crossbow and a free quiver + metal bolts.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:27:45 am »

When I last embarked on an evil biome (a glacier, at that), I brought along one hammerdwarf and enough ore and fuel to make him a silver hammer and a full set of bronze armor, as well as a couple picks.

That hammerdwarf smashed through every skeletal beastie that decided to set foot near my fortress with reckless abandon, and he loved doing it too.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 12:28:38 am »

afaik Genesis mod changes the game substantially, advice that works for vanilla may not work for genesis.

Also the ambusher skill thing only gives them 1 leather armor, actual "leather armor" not a set with pants/shoes etc and a variable material/quality hat.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:46:35 am »

I am currently on an evil genesis embark in my community fort, see sig for link.

I started with everyone as a competant wrestler and enlisted the entire starting 7 as an unarmoured/unarmed posse, just make sure they go in together.  I made it without loss even while bringing no supplies so its doable as my guys were on the surface an entire year fishing/picking and had to fight everything that spawned, was lucky enough not to see any nightwings till I had the start of some iron armor/weapons though.

Every migrant until your armour/weapons is ready gets to join a squad and show up to emergencies.  Exclude only the most vital, numbers count when its nekkid wrasslin
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:55:36 pm »

Evil biomes?
Arrive with a copper pick.

Dig down.

Then, dig lower.

Eventually, and that should come soon, collapse your starting wagon down as well.

Build your colony underground. The outside world is evil, and wants you dead. Screw the outside world! It is only to be approached with a squad of soldiers in steel, or better, armor.

Trade? Good luck to them. Immigrants? Survival of the fittest I say.

When you arrive on an evil biome, you survive first. Then, you start creating your fortress. Emergency bunks underground (bring wood!), a quick training room with some rock armor stands and weapon racks. A foundry, burning whatever will burn. Bring alcohol to last some time.

Then, dig to your preferred destination. Or, emerge with soldiers, and start building walls and aboveground hallways.

But first, you survive. And to survive, dwarves dig deeper.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.