Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about assigning armor  (Read 692 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
A question about assigning armor
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »

I notice that when I assign footwear and handwear to my military dwarves, on the selection screen it lists them as plural (high boots), and when on the screen to actually see what they have it on, it lists it in the singular (high boot). So my question... do I need to assign them 2 of each, gloves and boots?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about assigning armor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:48:20 pm »

They automatically put on a pair if available.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »

Assigning boots (and gauntlets/gloves, for that matter) will automatically assign a boot/glove for each side, both right and left. Same with forging them; you'll get a pair for each order.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »

Thanks

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:51:40 pm »

At least in my forts, however, it doesn't seem like dwarves are particularly fastidious about putting on pairs of handwear or footwear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I see dwarves with one glove, gauntlet or mitten — or sock, shoe or boot — all the time. Often it's something like one left sock and one right boot.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:53:40 pm »

Dwarves are strange sometimes.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 04:22:32 am »

On a related note, I have recently seen dwarves unable to put on a breastplate or chain shirt, or unable to put on both a breastplate and a chain shirt. What's up with that? Are they just wearing too much already?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 04:36:16 am »

It could well be, it is possible to equip a breastplate and mail shirt at the same time - I usually give them a cloak (and a dress so I can giggle) as well as that seems to cover some body parts other armour misses out.

If you go to the military screen (m) then uniforms (u ?) if you press r you can set uniforms to replace clothing.  The default setting is to wear armour over clothing, so if your dwarves are already weaing too much clothing in one slot then they won't be able to fit all their armour.