Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting annoyed!  (Read 1304 times)

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting annoyed!
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 01:28:22 am »

you can select various animals to bring on embark from the items screen. A typical startup thief-detection system has a 3-tile wide entrance to the fort with 2 guard dogs tied to either side with a restraint. to diagram

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Put it after a turn to keep the animals safe from ranged attacks. Also keep a roof over them so fliers have to be on their level. Be careful using females, as their children will hang out there and follow thieves, etc, usually to their death. Keep your guards safe and you'll have an easier time.

So, like this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I prefer a bit farther in, but that will help. Guards that can be picked off from a distance with ease are useless. This way, archers have to get closer, which gives the guards a better chance.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:39 pm »

It's not necessarily to scale, I just didn't feel like drawing a giant diagram for such a simple concept. When I use this concept I like to put them around U-turns actually.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

funny to protect against archers I usually put automatic traps in the way. to the main topic...

I put several of these, just in case a kobold rips the head off one and I need more protectors...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »

funny to protect against archers I usually put automatic traps in the way. to the main topic...

I put several of these, just in case a kobold rips the head off one and I need more protectors...
Yes, guard animals should be for thieves. But do protect them from archers.
Pages: 1 [2]