Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop my dwarves from drinking water?  (Read 1694 times)

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
How do I stop my dwarves from drinking water?
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:50:21 am »

I have 467 units of alcohol and 7 different kinds, but for some reason, my dwarves are drinking water, any way to stop this?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop my dwarves from drinking water?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:51:33 am »

access maybe? or the guy is in hospital which only require water.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:34 am »

set zone only drinking in orders and then don't designate any water source zones
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:38:00 am »

access maybe? or the guy is in hospital which only require water.
set zone only drinking in orders and then don't designate any water source zones

Elves!  The only solution is to find each and every source of water and pour magma over it.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:44 am »

Brew more alcohol, and make sure your dwarves can reach it.  Dwarves should never voluntarily drink water when there is booze available.  If your dwarves are drinking water, you might have accidentally managed to make the alcohol inaccessible for them, by setting up a burrow or screwing up ramps.  Or, more likely, you don't have enough barrels of booze.  Only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time, and they take a long time to do so, so if all barrels are occupied by drinking dwarves anyone else who gets thirsty will go for water instead.  467 units of alcohol isn't that much, I try not to let my supply drop below 1000.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 01:05:02 pm »

Ahh, that may be it. Alright then, I'll crank up the booze production.
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »

If you only have one type of booze, your dwarves will get sick of it and start drinking water.  You can check their thoughts screen to see- I believe it says something along the lines of "He/she is tired of the same old booze."
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:02 am »

If you only have one type of booze, your dwarves will get sick of it and start drinking water.  You can check their thoughts screen to see- I believe it says something along the lines of "He/she is tired of the same old booze."

That and maybe you want to place hatches/walls around the water sources.... Which self-respecting dwarf drinks water anyway?

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:23:33 pm »

Actually, I've found that dwarves do in fact drink water if it is available, however rarely.

Maybe they get drunk on it?

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 02:14:05 pm »

Method 1: Kill Urist!
Method 2: Kil yourself!
Method 3: Prevent anyone from ever hearing of this sorry epidemic...by killing everyone in the world!!
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 05:40:25 pm »

Add magma to the water

While they drink it.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 05:20:40 am »

I think that fort has been infiltrated by elfs

Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration