Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guarding my fortress  (Read 499 times)

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Guarding my fortress
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »

Okay, i've reached the point of thieves running around etc. I even killed few there, is there a way to get this automated? so that i wouldn't haveto send the killing squad after each thief. Like is there a way to set my squad to patrol the entrance to my keep and when ever my dwarves spot a thief they would go run it down and kill it if they can and then after it's done return to the base and start patrolling again?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guarding my fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 03:10:07 pm »

When a thief is found it will try to run immediately and will only attack if absolutely forced to. They automate themselves.

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »

Ofcourse the thieves are automate, that was not the question. Question is that can i set automation somehow for my own squad to patrol and chase the thieves and then come back when it's done?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 03:22:31 pm »

Give them an order to patrol a route every month, or (better for troop morale) alternate squads every few months. Patrol routes can be made by placing (N)otes and creating routes between them.

If your soldiers find anything worth attacking while on patrol, they'll chase it down until it's too far from their patrol route or it's dead, then go right back to the patrol route.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:55 pm »

Make an 'airlock'.

First entrance has cage traps across it and a drawbridge.

Second entrance has guard dogs.

When a kobold comes in, it should be detected by the dogs, then you pull the lever and trap them between the two entrances.

When a goblin thief comes in, it should be caught by the cages on the way in or at least on the way out.

Other than that the only automation I can think of would be the military schedules, but that mean you'll need at least one squad patrolling at all times.

Hammerhead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 03:29:00 pm »

Haven't studiet the trap things yet, and no animals either...got 1 squad atm and figuring how it works for now. But thanks

Will try that patrol thing for the moment.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:33:35 pm by Hammerhead »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

Next time you set up a new fortress, check out the right side of the item selection menu when you're preparing, you can select animals to bring along with you that way. A fairly simple thief-detection system involves brining 2 dogs and 2 ropes along. You build the ropes into restraints that the dogs are tied to, the dogs acting as a watch for thieves (diagram copied from another thread on this topic)

# = wall
+ = floor
$ = restraint

+++++++
##+++##
##+++##
##+++##
##++++$
##+++++
##++++$
#######

3-wide hallway allows wagons in (though that's not relevant in this version of the game), dogs positioned where those restraints are are nearly guaranteed to spot any stealthed units. In the case of thieves, they should turn tail and run. In the case of and ambush, well...it buys time for your military to get there.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »

Ropes are pretty expensive to bring right off an embark, I usually prefer to bring a couple of cloth to make them.  Bringing seed saves even more but takes a few months to get to rope
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:26:40 pm »

Cave spider silk rope is 7 points each if I recall, so you spend 14 + cost of dogs for your basic defense.

I always have some points left over anyway, so I don't see the problem with spending a bit to get the rope.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:14:46 pm »

Something I noticed in my most recent playthrough, I chained a male and female dog up next to eachother and the puppies (Localized Pupsplosion!) choked the hallway. Nothing was going to get through there without bumping into something.

Its not something you can count on but something to keep in mind when setting up an anti-stealther detection system.